Camp chef king Salmon

Started by David Hall, May 31, 2021, 04:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

This is my second batch since switching from my old master built gas smoker to my new camp chef pellet electric thingee?
First batch came out really good but the smoker gave me some problems,ie. it shut itself off half way through the smoke and I had to bring the temps back up.  This thing is controlled for smoke and temp via blue tooth from my phone. I'm smoking up two nice fish that probably weigh in around 20-25 lbs combined.  Brined in 1lb canning salt and 4 lbs of brown sugar for 18hrs. 

David Hall

This is the smoker it's the 36" woodwind model with a searing station on the side.

David Hall

I prepped the brine and got the fish ready around 12:00 Saturday and Going in the fridge for an overnight soak.

Maxed Out

Looking good David. 4 to 1 is the same ratio I go by. Learning how new smoker works can cause grief, but seems like you have it handled !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

pjstevko

Looks great!!!!!!! I'll take 5 pounds please!!!!!!!!

David Hall

I'll bring a bag to the clubhouse this coming Sunday.

Brewcrafter

David - That is some awesome looking smoked salmon!!!!!   What flavor of wood? - john

David Hall

Alder wood pellets.  This new smoker is scary!  It's got to many bells and whistles, the reviews on it seemed pretty solid and it has some great features, primarily it's much easier to clean than a traeger.  It has a hopper dump to empty the storage bin, a burner chute to quickly dump the contents of the burner, but it also has some bugs in the electronics. It's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth operated but apparently only when it wants to.  It can actually cause explosions in the burner which I have heard will blow the lid open.  So I go slowly and cautiously.

gstours

Sorry about the delayed response Dave,  been gone awhile.  Quick question,  what temperature can you maintain on the smoke cycle.?   Did you get enough smoke before over cooking the pieces?
  The fan might help?  Most smokers are more vertical.  I've used pellets in my modified big chief and they work fine,  pellet bbqs rock for chicken, ribs, butts, etc.   thanks for sharing your pictures.

Ron Jones

I have the WiFi Traeger and it does a gret job. I have the newer one with "super smoke" which will smoke at 170 rock steady for over 12 hours. I only do whole salmon, and it came out great last year.

Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gstours

Thanks Ron,   I was hoping that some pellet bbq s might have a 120 -140 max smoke temperature.....
   You did good in my mind at a higher temperature smoking a filet or such at normal pellet bbq smoking cycle.   Butt Im 🤔 thinking it seems too warm for small cuts in portions from a filet.....
  We cannot have everything,   If you have a smoker , it's a sports car 🚗,  if you have a pellet bbq you have a duel ram 350.....
  Now daze many  people have both,  n a 3 car garage....... just saying.🎣

David Hall

Gary I can get this one smoking no problem at 160, I use low smoke setting.  Because it's not cold smoked the fish needs to reach and hold 165 to finish it off.  My backyard plans include a true brick lined cold smoker.  Hopefully I can get started on it soon.