How many rods?

Started by MarkT, April 08, 2021, 03:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Sharkb8

Not enough I need more!  I have  enough I want more.  I not saying how many I have because my partner might see this and then she's known when I get another rod.

Kim

thorhammer

I gave away two last week :)

Brewcrafter

I'm in Thorhammer's camp.  Not that I'm planning on leaving any time soon, and I have great fishing buddies, all my stuff is labelled (took about 6 months) for two reasons - A.  My memory is bad.  So I can remember what was serviced when, and what line when, etc.  B.  A brief history of the rod or reel.  I have rods and reels that have little or no actual value that go back generations in the family and in that respect are priceless.  My family is clueless about "all those rods and reels" and while I am nowhere near in Mark's league  ;D I would have plenty of junk to sort through if something happened.  I guess if I was smart, I probably should catalog everything in the event that something happens when I'm still around and I need to document to the insurance company the 45 United Composites and 45 St. Croix rods I lost....just joking! - john

Bill B

Quote from: thorhammer on April 09, 2021, 09:41:05 PM
I gave away two last week :)

Bravo John 👍. Now time to replace them with 4 more 😎
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Bill- I bought three :)

John, my insurance agent, who is a friend came to my house once. He said take a video, no one would ever believe it if something happened- and that was prolly 200 rods and reels ago, with most since then on the high end of customization or retail. There's a big difference between provenance on 30 Ugly Sticks vs 30 UC.

Brewcrafter

You are wise.  It wouldn't hurt to do a quick walk through video with a time stamp.  Not that I have anything against Ugly Sticks (I have a few) I certainly wouldn't want my entire arsenal judged by that by an insurer. - john

thorhammer

US certainly have their place, and I probably have a dozen. Some are lightweight loaners, after a "I know how to fish" guest broke a St Croix on my motor cowling and didn't tell me, but I saw and heard it thwack. They actually make great, durable live-bait rods for stripers and kingfish. Whippy fast tip is perfect to keep bait from getting jerked around but locks up quickly when hit for auto hook set.

Just like that flea market 4/0 for ten bucks covered in a protective crust of greasy dirt from a basement corner, I love a good rod rescue...."Sir, I can't go 70 bucks for that pair of vintage Fenwicks with all Aftco rollers and Varmac seats / SS butt. They'll need some thread work. How about 60 for both? The St Croix over there needs a tip and a guide; throw that in too, if I can get it for ten bucks". Done.

the rockfish ninja

11, and 2 are freshwater that I haven't done in I can't remember, and 1 is an almost 100 year old bamboo antique. All my saltwater are top notch though, St Croix, Lami, Shimano, & Yamaga.

I don't chase big game so I don't have an extended arsenal like Alan's garage, but slow pitch jigging has given me an avenue into some lusciously overpriced imported from Japan gear.

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

whalebreath

Quote from: Brewcrafter on April 10, 2021, 04:15:36 AM....It wouldn't hurt to do a quick walk through video with a time stamp..... I certainly wouldn't want my entire arsenal judged by that by an insurer.
I had an adjuster ask to see my collection when I put in a claim and it was an education for both of us-me seeing how she had to clear details about the claim and her to see what a collection can be comprised of.

oc1

Now why do you need to bring up stuff like this?  What purpose does it serve?  Besides, there can't be that many.  Right?

philaroman

...and what constitutes "rod", anyway?  do loaned/borrowed rods count?
does a rod w/ extra, optional or alternate-tapered sections count as more than one?
if an easy-fix nonfunctional rod is still a rod, while a naked blank isn't, where's the middle cut-off ???

just want to complicate this chore for YOU  :o  I have no intention of counting MY few dozen  ;D

thorhammer

Phil i asked myself that too....just like i have two boxes labeled "Penn 9 parts".....I KNOW there are several complete reels there, because they were complete when i fully disassembled for cleaning....

Mickeyfin

I'm embarrassed to say I have only 20 now. Placed 10 on consignment yesterday at a local tackle shop. I didn't fish in 2020 so I didn't buy. Making plans for a comeback this year.
Go gettum, Mick

Woodpuppy

Do I count my kids' rods too? That's few enough I can still name them all. I have two from childhood, both glass Fenwicks built by a local rod builder in Tavernier FL 40+ years ago, a glass Star I bought during spring break my freshman or sophomore year of college ('94 or '95), a Penn graphite and a Daiwa graphite I got in the early 2000s. Fast forward 20 years and four kids later, three daughters each have one and my son has 2. I also have picked up 2 St. Croix in LF and MLF that wear Penn 716z and 714z reels. Oh, and I got a little 3' Ugly Stick "dock runner" for goofing off in a canoe.