Penn No. 49 Deep Sea Reel

Started by Landon94, April 11, 2021, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

All good advice above, and you probably already know this but since I didn't see it mentioned - Cal's Grease or equivalent for those drags!  yes, dry CF drags will work, but there are Terrabytes of info here on the forum about the benefits of Cal's.  Seems like a minor thing, but REALLY makes a difference - you will not be sorry. - john

Landon94

Afternoon guys, I rebuilt my reel tonight with the new drag washers and under main gear washer. It functions 100x better/smoother which is amazing!

However, the drag only has around 1/2 turn of adjustment and is tight! Any ideas? Didn't know if my under main gear washer is to thick?

Let me know your thoughts.

Brewcrafter

Could be a few things - here are the easy ones:  Do you still have the old factory drag stack, and can you compare stack height with the new stack?  It is not uncommon for an aftermarket stack to be different (both taller or short, and it doesn't have to be much) and require some adjustments to be made.  Also one common "Doh" (but you will get very little drag pressure out of the reel) is if that top "eared" washer sneaks out of the main gear grooves on assembly and ends up sitting on top of the gear.  It's easy to miss if you don't know to look for it.  Let us know, we will get you through this. - john

Swami805

If everything works fine and you're just looking for finer adjustment you could try a fine thread gear sleeve
Do what you can with that you have where you are