It was a cold weekend

Started by AlasKen, April 12, 2021, 01:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

Alaska has not gotten the message that it is spring.  I spent part of the weekend servicing some Ebay reels I purchased for the grandkids.  I decided to get them all a Penn #9.  Once they can take it apart and put it back together they get to take it home.  Until then they get to fish it with me.  These may not be the newest or sexiest thing out there but should be a good introduction into taking care of, and having pride, in fishing gear.  Main use will be shore fishing while camping with parents.  Also jigging up a rock fish on my boat.

I tore down 4 this weekend.  The first one pictured was dark maroon Penn Peerless no 9.  It had the 30-109S base.  It had the extra pawl.  It has the flat base and it is longer than the others.  I understand this denotes saltwater.

Next in line was a dark red Penn peerless with a 30-109 base.  It also had the extra pawl.  Neither of the pawls have been used.  Assume it denotes freshwater.

I could not tell any difference other than the base.

The next 2 were black side plates and were 9 Level Wind reels.  No extra pawls.  They both had a 30N-9 base. 

I replaced the leather drag washers on the first one.  The rest had carbon fiber washers.  They had a little pitting but with proper care they should last another 20 years.

Is there anyway to determine the age?  I like to spin a good yarn with the grandkids and they will expect a story about each reel. They probably all caught a world record at some time.😂

The 2 oldest are already talking about fishing and camping this summer.   We have been watching YouTube on tying knots.  They are 8 and 11.  The younger 3 are 4 (twins) and 3 so I have some time.  Unfortunately one is very allergic to rockfish so not sure how that will work.

Attached are some photos.  I am now out of reels to service.  May have to watch EBay.  For the most part I like vintage Penn, especially Senators.

Swami805

If you're looking check out the Penn mag 10's.  Makes a nice starter reel, has mag cast control, aluminum spool and better drags. Won't be as inexpensive as those but a pretty bullet proof reel and still good bang for the buck
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

AlasKen - So neat to be sharing this with the Next Generation!  My Grandkids currently have 4 paws and their primary focus is on being spoiled, so they are not ready to go fishing. Anyhow, a trick that I have used in the past (many Cubs and Webelos got their "Fishing" belt loop under my tutelage) especially with the younger folks is to teach knots with something a little more substantial - like clothesline, etc.  Helps little hands.  And while there are a zillion posts on here about knots and "100% Breaking Strength", I stick by the mantra that the best knot - is the one you can tie well.  A simple Palomar is going to suffice - and they will be satisfied to "tie it myself".  Thanks so much for sharing, good luck on the camping adventure and please keep us all posted! - john