Shimano TLD 20/40 help please

Started by Mrc70, April 12, 2021, 08:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrc70

Hello!  I had a bearing (right side) that was stuck to the spool shaft on my TLD 20/40 Star Drag reel. I tried everything to get it loose but it wouldn't budge so I had to break the bearing using channel locks  :D. Anyway, I now have the inner race that is still stuck to the spool shaft. What do you experts recommend for getting it unstuck??  ???

Gfish

Heat, but more than likely intense heat, such as a torch.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Mrc70

Thanks. I did try that but no luck. I will try again, just afraid to melt the white plastic looking thing inside of the spool.

alantani

ah, this one is easy.  i have to go through this all the time.  a large bench vise helps, but even a pair of channel locks will work.  first you crush the outside race.  it will shatter into small pieces so safety glasses are a must.  then you have only inside race left.  just grab it firmly and start twisting.  eventually the inside race will come off.  it's quick and easy!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mrc70

Cor

Quote from: alantani on April 12, 2021, 10:39:36 PM
ah, this one is easy.  i have to go through this all the time.  a large bench vise helps, but even a pair of channel locks will work.  first you crush the outside race.  it will shatter into small pieces so safety glasses are a must.  then you have only inside race left.  just grab it firmly and start twisting.  eventually the inside race will come off.  it's quick and easy!!!
Or the shaft starts to turn inside the spool! ;D

Sorry Boss ;)
Cornelis

Mrc70

Ok, the channel locks worked!  I was able to remove the inner bearing race from the spool shaft. Now I have a different problem. I do not have freespool. It looks like the pinion gear is still in contact with the main gear when I put the reel in freespool position. ???

Leerie18

Check that your yoke contact with the pinion gear is orientated in the correct position

LBG addict!

Mrc70

Thanks everyone. I was able to figure out the problem.. the pinion gear was not detaching from the spool shaft when put into freespool (I scratched the spool shaft when I used the channel locks to remove ball bearing  :o). I smoothed out the spool shaft with some light steel wool and that fixed the issue.   :D