What is the diference between a Penn 500 and a 500S

Started by CooldadE, January 21, 2012, 01:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I can see that the left sideplate on the 500S is the one that removes for disassembly compaired to the right side for standard 500s Any other differences ? Will Tiburon, accurate or Newell frame and spool parts work on a 500S
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

I wonder why Penn deveated from the basic 500 configuration ??? Was it cheaper??? It was fairly short lived.
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Norcal Pescador

The 500S was their anniversary edition. Red spool to make it special (=S ???). Unknown if the left side takedown screw was a trial run for future 500's. From a maintenance point of view, it didn't make sense. Beautiful spool though.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

yeah, somebody probably just wanted to be different..... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tunanorth

The 500S model was brought out in the early 1980's for two reasons.
The more "modern" plastic sideplate material was thought to be superior to the original bakelite, and the quick-change on the left side allowed the reel to be assembled by machine instead of by hand.
As already mentioned, the experiment was fairly short-lived [only about 18 months]. 

VW

I think this is the best place to ask something I have wondered about.  I have never held, much less examined, a 500S.

Would it be possible, if one had 500 and 500S reels, to assemble one reel with quick take down sideplates on each end and the non - quick take down plates on the other reel?

Please, do not ask "why".  Just trying to figure out how it all fits together and if it would work.  I suspect it would, but maybe there is something I do not know about.

After thinking about it some more I can think of reasons "why".

Emergency/temporary measure to get a reel back in service quickly.

Cheap way to assemble a reel from parts on hand or that can be acquired free/cheap.

Bryan Young

I''m sure you could but the side plates will be of different color.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Penn took off about 1/3 of the weight of the old Jig Masters by making the 500S. I have both & when I was doing all the S S work inside I used the OLD reel. The 500S is still stock except for the drags.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

As Bryan said above, you could but the plates color won't match. I just want to mention that you could get to the opposite side just by removing the spool. You would still need to disassemble the handle side plate to work on it, no matter what :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

VW

Thanks for playing along.  It is not something I was considering doing, do not even have a 500S and no plans to purchase one.  Just wondering if it could be done.

Alto Mare

Not a problem VW. If you did need that 500S, just drop me a line.

Gulfyakr

One would also need the corresponding chrome inner ring for each sideplate with the take-down thumbscrew. There is another minor difference. The 500S has the entire right side plate rotated approximately 45 degrees in a clockwise direction when compared to the 500. That is, the centerline of the eccentric screw, right side spool bushing, and the handle screw are roughly in a vertical line, with the eccentric lever perched on top of the 500S reel and the gear sleeve at the very bottom. Right sideplate orientation on a 500 has the eccentric lever placed more rearward, toward the angler, and the gear sleeve axis more forward and up. This should not affect the possibility of two take-down plates on one reel, though. Spools seem to swap just fine between mine, too. Here's a pic, 500S on the left, 500 on the right:

They aren't pretty, but they fish well. :)

MarkD

Just upgraded to a stainless sleeve and dog on mine 500s