Haywire twist to Dacron Albright Knot Connection Tutorial

Started by broadway, February 01, 2012, 05:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

This connection tutorial will be helpful for many applications including: wire rigs, marking wire for trolling, etc.
  I'm using 40lb. test monel wire and a dubro haywire twist tool (sm. size) to make life a lot easier.  If you're not using the tool, you'll still learn how to do it by hand with my explanation.
  The dubro twist tool is a three piece tool- the head (plastic), the (metal) body with a slit, and the (plastic) bottom with two holes in it.

1)  Make sure when you start with the tool- you twist it first, otherwise it won't lock in your wire.  Put the wire through one of the holes in the bottom, up through, and loop back down through the hole in the top through the second hole in the bottom. Leave at least a 5" of tag end to work with and at least a 1.5" loop for the dacron to fit on.

2)  Now, holding the loop with your left hand you twist the tool clockwise (keeping slight pressure upward towards the loop so your wraps are nice and tight, but not bent)  until you have about 5 wraps (more if you want).  If your doing this part by hand make sure you twist both wires not just one around the other.

3)  Take a small needle nose plier to hold the first wrap closest to the loop, slide the tool down the wire until the shorter (tag end) wire pops out of the tool.  Bend the tag end 90 degrees at the base of your wraps, and slide the tool up to meet the bend.

4) Keep the pliers where they were on the last step.  Twist the tool clockwise until you've formed about 7 complete barrel wraps.   Untwist the tool to where the slits on the plastic head and the metal body line up to remove the tool from the equation.

5)  Take the tag end that you have left over, and roughly half way up make a 90 degree bend in it to where the tip of the tag end is perpendicular to the standing part of the wire.

6)  If my left hand was holding the standing part of the wire I would use my right hand to grab the tag end at the 90 degree bend, and begin rotating counter clockwise keeping the tag end of the wire perpendicular to the standing wire.  It will then snap cleanly at the last barrel wrap after 1 or 2 full rotations- if not keep going until it does.

7)  ...and voila, a clean break... Well Done!

8.)  Now, to the connection with the 100 lb. test hi-vis dacron (for easy to sight markers.)
Put the dacron through from the back of the loop, and pull through about 16" of line.

9) Bring the entire tag end around the back side of the loop. (In photo: standing line is on right and tag end is on left)

10)  With left hand pinch the overlap towards the base of the loop to hold firm.

11)  Overlap the wraps going towards the the tip of the loop keeping all wraps inline and tidy.  By keeping the wraps tight to each other your end product will be that much easier to snug up and neater looking.

12)  I usually wrap (depending on the diameter of your line and material- adjust accordingly... the thicker the line the less wraps necessary, but do at least 7-9) until I can just barely fit the tag end through the loop.  You MUST put the tag end through the loop the same way the standing line is going through.  In our case we have to put it through the top going down.

13) (read this whole step first, then try it) Now, holding the wire with your left hand, take both ends of the dacron (standing and tag) ravel them around your right index and pointer finger.  Pull snugly on both the wire and the dacron while working the wraps down with whatever fingers or toes you have available.  When you can't get it any tighter holding both ends of the dacron let go of the tag end and just pull the standing line of the dacron and the wire to fully snug up.  If you got it tight enough by working the wraps down and pulling with both lines this will work out perfectly.  If not your wraps may overlap.  If this happens and they can be worked back in line then go for it, otherwise start over.

14)  Hold standing dacron away to avoid cutting by mistake.  Cut the tag end when you've snugged her down, leaving about 1/4" tag so you can take a cigarette lighter near (not touching) to create a mushroom tip to help prevent it from going back through the loop.  This has never happened to me, though I always feel better with a  back up.

You did it! ;)

I have to give you tutorial guys credit... this stuff is no joke... you're lucky I love yas!

Hope this helps you guys who like to or have to use wire,
Dom

Dominick

Dom:  I'm proud of ya.  Great job.  Everyone on this site loves pictures even if we don't understand the subject matter.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

x2 on Dominick's post - great job Dom.
Never seen wire line before.
Must be a real bugger when it kinks!  ;)
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Quote from: redsetta on February 01, 2012, 05:52:32 AM
x2 on Dominick's post - great job Dom.
Never seen wire line before.
Must be a real bugger when it kinks!  ;)
Cheers mate, Justin
Ha Ha Dom:  see what I mean ;).  Justin liked the photos.  He doesn't understnd wire line either ???.  Justin I told Dom to give up the wire line and invest in downriggers.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Thanks for the nice comments guys... couldn't have done it with out yas!
Dominick,
   I'm not giving up my wire lining to put those chunks of plastic/metal on my gunnels... you'll see when you visit, hopefully soon!
When you're hooked up with a striper with all the room in the world to fish, obstruction free you'll love it, and find it very challenging with many opportunities to lose fish... TENSION is #1 hands done when wire lining.

Thanks again,
Dom

redsetta

QuoteI told Dom to give up the wire line and invest in downriggers...
I think someone else tried that and it didn't end well  ;) ;D ;D
Seriously though, I hope the planets align one day and I can do a big circuit visiting/fishing with Alan, Sal, Dominick, Dom, Wallace, Rob, Bryan etc...
Cheers lads, Justin

broadway

I could't agree more, Justin!  You're all welcome to fish with me any day... that'd be awesome!
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on February 01, 2012, 06:10:41 AM
Seriously though, I hope the planets align one day and I can do a big circuit visiting/fishing with Alan, Sal, Dominick, Dom, Wallace, Rob, Bryan etc...
Cheers lads, Justin

Hear here Justin, I doubt we'll be doing any fishing though ;D

Dom, great job! I can tell you did that a few times before. You forgot to mention the metal spool though, you know what would happen if you use the aluminum spool for that type of fishing.....you'll end up with aluminum washers ;D.
Later bro, now that you got the hang of it, keep'em coming  ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Squirmypug

Well done Dom  ;) and just so everyone knows, always break the wire off as shown. If you cut the wire it makes a very sharp stub that will poke/cut you.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Jimmer

Thanks Dom, great tutorial ,I have to get one of those dubro tools, that really looks like a great wire connection. I don't know why we are addicted to levelwinds on the great lakes. I have a 2 core (200 yds ) lead line on a cv55w (no level wind) and if any one else picks that rig up it always gets jammed -no one will level the line. Thanks again - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

broadway

Sal,
   Glad you mentioned the spool situation... it's true! ...always use the chromed over spools if you can otherwise you won't get long out of the aluminum spool. I have done that connection once or twice  ;)  Tutorials are way harder to make then this connection!

Jimmer,
   You are 100% correct... people can't level wire/ line, and reel a fish in simultaneously when their newbies.  It takes a little getting used to.  

Squirmy,
   I have had that tag end of wire under my finger nails and through my hand to the bone (16 gauge copper wire while hand line fishing).  It's amazing how easily with wet hands that wire can go in... and keep going  :(

Justin,
   You have a good heart and a great sense of humor  ;)

PS- Another thing I should have mentioned is when you finish the haywire twist, flatten out the loop to make it easier to tie the albright. (you'll see that I did that before I started my albright in the photos.)
Thanks,
Dom

Bryan Young

Good job Dom. 

Justin & Sal, that would be fun.  It'll be the fun, competition, and who can catch what.  I do the same not with mono as well... bimini to larger line. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jimmer

Anyone try this knot yet? I used it on all my trolling line to line connections last year with zero failures at the knot, fast and easy to tie. - Jimmer                                 http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/sport-fishing-knot-challenge        The improved bristol is the one I'm referring to, click on more on bristol knots link,then tying the improved bristol om that page. Dom - I wasn't trying to start a 'knot of the month club' - I just like this knot - Jimmer                                  
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

redsetta

Norcal Pescador

Great job Dom. It's a good thing you didn't have to wait for me to help with your tutorial. Hey, you could do a tutorial for every knot out there. :D ;D :D   Or not ......
Keep up the good work bud.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD