Haywire twist to Dacron Albright Knot Connection Tutorial

Started by broadway, February 01, 2012, 05:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey Rob,

I like my knots, but unless requested I'm gonna have to pass on the "every knot tutorial"  ;D
Just hope this connection tutorial gets you guys hooked on wire  ;)
Dom

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

i have never read anything on wire line.what is the purpose.so you can add weight without a downrigger?looking at your dacron connection could you tilt the wire where the albright enters and exits to stop it wearing.all new to me cheers

broadway

Wallace,
    I don't have any wear issues with the connection... I have tested one connection for 2 years and it's still going strong.  Wire lining is for getting your lure down without using a weight (or less weight) or downrigger.  After letting out 300' of wire, there will be an opposite effect (forget what it's called.)  Your wire will start to rise in the water if letting out over 300'.  Depending on the rig or lure your using, they say 10 to 1 (every 10' out brings you 1' down)  If using umbrella rigs it's usually 7 to 1.
...and Bryan, it's hard to get people hooked on wire (though I am trying) because it is a tough way to fish, but it produces! Come on out with me and try it next time you gotta head to Long Island ;)

Thanks
Dom

wallacewt

floating doc

New member here from FL.

This is great advice, with the best photos that I've seen for describing an Albright. I have a "twist" on the typical Albright: I have been making leaders using an Albright to single strand leader wire (usually #7 wire, but any size from 4-10) for about 30 years. I haven't had one break at the connection that I recall (probably forget; anyhow it's not an expected site for failure).

What's different about my method is that I don't do the haywire twist first. I just double the wire, feed through a single piece of mono (anywhere from 20 to 80 lb; depends on what I'm fishing for) and tie the Albright.  It's a technique for adding a bit of wire above the hook and still use a leader that's mostly mono. It's useful when there's bluefish or mackeral around.

I've had a leader of this type hold up in a hard fight from a Tampa Bay pier to release a sting ray of ~250 lbs. That was a rough estimate at best, but it was a lot bigger than the 155 lb halibut I had caught out of Homer, AK the year before.

While the ray might have been at least 50% larger that the halibut, it fought 10 times harder: long hard run down to almost half spool (Penn 990 with about 380 yards of 25), then 20 minutes to get it to the pier, and an incredibly difficult 5 minutes to lift it off the bottom in ~20 feet of water. I figure that was kind of the ultimate test for this connection. I could have laid the fish on the hood of a 70's cadillac and the wingtips would have draped across the ground on both sides of the car.

The leader is haywired to the hook, jig, etc. Then the albright to mono connection; I typically end up with about 4-6 inches of wire, then haywire to a swivel. This mostly gets used for surf/jetty fishing.

I'll add some photos later; I'm going fishing tomorrow and need to make some leaders.
Central Florida

Bryan Young

Dom,

It was only my smart allec remark.  Didn't mean to imply any negativity.  And, I've trying to get out to Long Island for a few year now and our agenda keeps on changing for these training trips. >:(  If I ever get out there, I'll be calling.

BTW, I've know guys that have used wire before and swear by it.  They had a great catch rate, no doubt about it, but did learn that there is a technique to it like any other styles of fishing that for my style of fishing and what I was going for, was not viable for me.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Dom:  I'm going out on a limb here showing my ignorance regarding wire lining.  In my mind you have a fishing reel that has let's say 300' of wire.  You attach a few feet of leader with a lure or bait on the end of the leader.  Now this is like any other rigged up fishing line the only difference being in your case wire instead of Spectra or Mono.  In looking at your photos, the wire you are using is single strand and does not look flexible.  Is it very flexible like SS cable?  I just cannot imagine cranking that stiff wire on a reel until I see it done.  Is there a chance that you can do a video?  Now that I mentioned a video, I'm going to search YouTube for a video.  I'm sorry for putting you on the spot, but it is all new to me.  Okay here is a video that explains it in the big picture.  It has a diagram of the set-up.    Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Here is a little more on wire lining for stripers.  Here is a video of wire line lures.  New to me and very interesting.  Lots of stuff on wire lining on YouTube.    Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

misokat

Tell them the truth, they havent lived untill the have pulled a bunker spoon that wieghs 3 pounds on wire lol, or a umbrella rig with 3 -20lb blues or bass on it, get out the gimble belt and good luck with the arms n back lol
Capt M Nelsen, Blue Max Sportfishing.
http://bluemaxsportfishing.com/

broadway

Dominick,
   You're not ignorant just curious. I will make a full tutorial when I get my boat back in, in April. I would rather take you out for the full experience  ;)

broadway

Misokat,
    You sound like you know the deal.... Are you a wire dragger?
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on February 09, 2012, 04:21:37 PM
Misokat,
Dom
Hey Misokat:  Meet Broadway Dom he's a knuckle dragger  ;D Dominick

Jimmer

Dom - what do you use on the business end? i.e. how would you attach a swivel? Do you ever use a piece of dacron or specctra as a chafe guard? - Thanks  - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

misokat

Quote from: broadway on February 09, 2012, 04:21:37 PM
Misokat,
Dom

yes ive been known to drag 300 feet of monel a time or two, now days we pull 8-16 oz drails on braid, much easier on the body.....lol
Capt M Nelsen, Blue Max Sportfishing.
http://bluemaxsportfishing.com/