1st Daughter's 21st Birthday Rod

Started by K Nguyen, February 01, 2012, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K Nguyen

My latest custom build for Oldest Daughter's 21st Birthday. She picked out all the components, rod layout, colors, and decal arts.

Blank: Lamiglas Super Surf SSU1081M; 9'0" length; 1 piece; 15-25lb; 1-4oz
Guides: Fuji K Frame Alconite black, BKWAG; 9 guides + tip top; spiral wrap - left transitions

Under wrap with size A Amethyst & Metallic Silver. Over wrap w/ Black size A

"Daughter One Happy 21st"; Ariel Mermaid free-handed by Daughter

Happy Birthday to my baby. Looking forward to spending some fishing time with my baby.

Why you don't take Asians fishing with you???
Because we will eat your bait.

K Nguyen

K Nguyen

wallacewt

Brendan

Very nice, even as one of a kind as that is someone will try to walk off a boat with it and tell her they thought it was theirs. The bar is set pretty high for Birthdays from now on at your house.
Again nice job, Brendan.

Alto Mare

That's one sweet looking rod. Nguyen. I'm sure that your daughter will cherish it for the rest of her life.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Very nice K.  How did you choose A size thread for an overwrap?  I'm sure it's plenty strong, but normally I've chosen C size thread when fishing above 15# line.  Just wondering.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

K Nguyen

Thank you for the kind words.  It was pleasure building this rod for my daughter.

Bryan, my rod building mentors have confirmed to me in the past that size A thread is as strong as C or D.  The theory is that you get more wraps per area to compensate for the weaker strength in the single strand.  And the finished wrap looks nicer with the smaller thread... you can't see the individual strand as easily.

However, I would love to have some size C.  C is so hard to find these days.  D is too big in my opinion.

Bryan Young

Thanks K.  never thought of it that way before.  I do love A thread though.  always has a nice finish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Will you be my daddy!  ... beautiful job, I'm sure your daughter will fish with it with pride.
Dom

Bryan Young

Man, everytime I see an awesome rod, I just want to get back into building rods again.  I'm sure my wife would really love that idea.

K Nguyen

Quote from: broadway on February 02, 2012, 03:00:10 AM
Will you be my daddy!  ... beautiful job, I'm sure your daughter will fish with it with pride.
Dom

Thank you Dom.  I want hear you say it... Who's your daddy?  LOL... joking of course.

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 02, 2012, 03:56:13 AM
Man, everytime I see an awesome rod, I just want to get back into building rods again.  I'm sure my wife would really love that idea.

It's like riding a bicycle B... once learned, you never forget.  I am sure your love ones would love to see you get back into building.

Nessie Hunter

I have a birthday coming up (Wish it was 21!!)..   
Can I send you my WANT list???

Very nice Rod, Well done.   
Im sure that the daughter is happy as can be...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

K Nguyen:  below your posts you have "Why you don't take Asians fishing with you??? Because we will eat your bait."  That is not true.  They ony eat the heads ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

How did you do the lettering?  I've been out for so long, there's special things like that I have missed learning.  I learned to weave names and fish, but not the new styles of lettering.  If you don't mind sharing, of course.

Thank you.