C440-5 pinion and main gear replacements?

Started by CaptKev, February 03, 2012, 01:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptKev

:o A few weeks ago, I was hanging out with a buddy of mine who happened to have a few abused reels that needed some love. Among them was a Newell C440-5 that felt like a coffee grinder. While it freespooled okay ad looks brand new, it was obvious the gears were toasted. Today, I finally tore it apart. Looks like the washer under the main gear disintegrated under pressure and locked up the drag while my buddy tried to bring a big Lingasaurus up from the abyss.

The pinion gear is stripped. The main gear "appears" to be okay, but I'd replace it if one is available. I told my friend parts may be an issue and expensive. He said $100ish is his limit. I've seen a few 113H Newell conversion gear sets on Ebay, but pretty certain they won't work. So...

1) What gear ratio is this reel?

2) Are there any parts available anywhere?

3) Can a faster or slower gear set be used?

With all the bantering about Newell reelsI'd like to refurb this and fish it myself. Kevin

CaptKev

If I get the gears, whic drag washers would I use?

akfish

I think the 400 series Newells use the same gears as Jigmasters. You should be able to get a set of Penn gears to fit, although they are just 4:1.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

CaptKev

I guess there are no Newell replacement parts available? 4:1 wouldn't be the end of the world versus the reel collecting dust in my buddy's box. Any odea what the original ratio was?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I heard that Newell was sold, and during the move, all parts were placed into a container...and it's still in the container...  If jigmaster gears will fit, it would be a good choice.  For drags, greased HT-100 or carbontex.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ratchet

Quote from: CaptKev on February 03, 2012, 07:33:53 AM
I guess there are no Newell replacement parts available? 4:1 wouldn't be the end of the world versus the reel collecting dust in my buddy's box. Any odea what the original ratio was?

The only way to know for sure is to count the number of teeth on the original main gear and divide that by the number of teeth on the pinion.  With the C-series, it should be either 3.6:1 or 5:1.  On finding a replacement gear set, see my explanation to Fish.Killer on the "Newell S332-5" thread below.  If you do the modification, you need to replace both gears as a set.

franky

Hello Capkev,

As mentioned earlier, the gear ratio is either 3.6:1 or 5:1....simplest way to know is just put a piece of tape on the spool and make one full revolution crank on the handle and count how many times the tape on the spool went around full circle.

Switching gear ratios on Newells are not as plain and simple as changing the pinion and main gear.  I say this because the lower gear ratio reels have a spool with a thicker diameter spool spindle; hence the need for a bearing with a larger inside diameter.  As a result, going from slower gear ratio to faster or visa versa will call for the need to change your spool and your bearings as well.  :o

Good luck in your venture.... :)

Bryan Young

Hey Franky,

Does Brian's have a set that he'd be willing to sell to Capkev?  I know that Brian has a small collection of Newell parts.  In fact Brian is a member here, but I cannot recall his call sign to look him up or to see how often he checks in.

Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i have some newell parts (including some gears) that are loose with no part numbers.  i'd have to have the reel in hand to figure it out.  if you saw my garage, you'd understand.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CaptKev

Alan, I'll send you the reel with return postage. Maybe with a little luck, you'll have exactly what I need.

franky

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 03, 2012, 08:22:45 PM
Hey Franky,

Does Brian's have a set that he'd be willing to sell to Capkev?  I know that Brian has a small collection of Newell parts.  In fact Brian is a member here, but I cannot recall his call sign to look him up or to see how often he checks in.

Bryan

Hello Bryan,

Sorry for the delay in response....got busy.

I just called Brians Fishing Supply and he said that he does not have the parts for this 440 reel. Hopefully Alan's got it somewhere in his garage.

Bryan Young