Spool for 235-5

Started by BMITCH, February 05, 2012, 09:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

S H

I have some good news & bad news.

The BAD NEWS- You will be buying a Frame for the 344

Now the GOOD NEWS - I have a 344 Aluminum Spool for you

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

That sounds like all good news to me Mike! ;D
Life is Good!

BonitaBch

Quote from: BMITCH on January 24, 2015, 12:34:27 AM
That's a reeeeeeeally old post. I've since upgraded that reel. Alum.spool. Tib frame ,new cf's,ball handle, you name it. But thanks for remembering guys.
Bob

What lb test line would you fish on this reel?  Are you using it for jigging or casting?

Tim
Bonita Beach, FL

BMITCH

I've used it for both...boat and beach. 25# mono for the beach fishing. You can throw 6 to 7oz. Bait and weight from the sand. On the boat for jigging stripers and blues I'll use 40# braid with a 10ft shock leader of 30 to 40# floro. Hope this helps
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

bluefish69

When I worked on the Brooklyn VI I used all 40# Mono every Day on the boat. We cast under hand on boats here. I had no problem with 100' casts.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Ron Jones

These could be very special reels. The Diameter lets you use Alan's 5:1 gears and Bryan's 5 disk drag and with all the other SS stuff you can put in them you can fish 80# line or more and still have plenty of capacity. I'm thinking big game kayak fishing!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

That spool is a hard to find one for sure. Hopefully it will fit. I already have the full ss kit from Chui including the gears and spacer.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Daron let me know how the build goes. My only worry would be the length of the frame reducing how much drag you can use before you run into frame twist issues.

Shark Hunter

Even with all ss guts, I don't think this reel will generate enough drag to twist an aluminum frame.
I think something else would fail before that could happen.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

I don't think it will distort the frame but you may notice some spool rubbing at higher drag settings. If not even better  ;D

DaBigOno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 24, 2015, 12:13:56 AM
I tried to get a wide newell spool for their new n344 frame and trick out a jigmaster with it. But had no luck. Why is Tiburon making frames that you can't get spools for?
I asked Greg (Chowderpuff) if they were making spools for it yet and got no reply.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 24, 2015, 01:10:31 AM
I don't have the frame Mike. I'm not going to buy one until I have that spool. It was a yellowfin special made by Newell for the jigmaster. The spool needs to be 2 3/4" wide.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 25, 2015, 04:03:58 PM
That spool is a hard to find one for sure. Hopefully it will fit. I already have the full ss kit from Chui including the gears and spacer.

Daron,

I believe this is the spool that you'll need for a Penn Yellowfin Special, it should match a Tiburon N344 frame. The spool was made by Newell back in the day...

it actually measures 2.8100 from spool end to spool end

here is a pic of it next to a stock Penn 500 spool.

Let me know if i can help out

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

That's the one Al!
The frame is on the way. Thank you! You have reached Super Hero status! ;D
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Well,
Its official Al! I now have a Jigmaster HLW! ;D

I owe you one Buddy! ;) I will Continue this in the Jigmaster section since this is not a Newell. 8)
Life is Good!

BonitaBch

Quote from: BMITCH on January 24, 2015, 10:50:27 PM
I've used it for both...boat and beach. 25# mono for the beach fishing. You can throw 6 to 7oz. Bait and weight from the sand. On the boat for jigging stripers and blues I'll use 40# braid with a 10ft shock leader of 30 to 40# floro. Hope this helps
Bob

Finally got this conversion completed.  Turned out pretty nice:

Bonita Beach, FL