Tsi321

Started by BMITCH, February 12, 2012, 02:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

O.K. What's the difference between the 301 and the 321? Viscosity? Does it matter? Any help before I order would be great.
luck is the residue of design.

Jimmer

I use the 321, it's just a lightweight oil. The 301 is 321 disolved in an evaporating cleaner.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

BMITCH

So the 301 has a higher or I should say a quicker evaporation rate? And if so, what is the advantage to that?

Bryan Young

BMitch,

TSI301 is dissolved in a solvent, which also acts as a cleaning agent, and then, when it evaporates, leaves a micro thin film of TSI321.  The benefit is that if the part you are lubricating is not absolutely clean, but almost clean, it will clean the rest of the deposits.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RWS

TSI301 is not plastic safe, but TSI321 is

Alto Mare

Quote from: RWS on February 14, 2012, 12:36:15 PM
TSI301 is not plastic safe, but TSI321 is
I have TSI301 in a plastic bottle with a stainless steel needle, for a year now. The plastic bottle is still intact and the TSI301 didn't evaporate :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

and around we go!haha

treidm

I think it was just miss-quoted  ::)

From their site:
TSI 301 contains a solvent and is not recommended for use on plastics but ideal for use with metals.
TSI 321 does not contain a solvent and is highly recommended for use where most plastics* are present.

*TSI321 is compatible with all plastics except PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate) and PVB (poly-vinyl butyral). If in doubt test before use.

On the evaporation?
Maybe try leaving cap off and let us know how it went...........  ;)
"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."

--Frank Lloyd Wright

Alto Mare

You did a good job explaining the evaporation process, treidm... can you explain  why my plastic bottle didn't melt away yet? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Sal, you've got that special plastic bottle, just like your reels...speeeciaaall.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

treidm

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 19, 2012, 07:52:17 PM
You did a good job explaining the evaporation process, treidm... can you explain  why my plastic bottle didn't melt away yet? :-\

You want me to explain it?  ??? Hmmm

I personally would have never thought that the plastic would melt, holding 301 with solvent.
Many very strong acids and solvents are often stored in various types of plastics or glass. because they react so violently or corrosively with metal containers

I'll give my opinion....

By what I read & posted from their site, I never read it as it would melt away or anything like that, maybe you did?
I read it as, it is not "recommended" for plastics, but that doesn't mean to melt them, to me. It could be as simple as discoloring them or whatever...
You could contact them and find out what type of damage, if any, it could cause

I wouldn't worry about it melting your container, but that's just my opinion.

Reid

"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."

--Frank Lloyd Wright

melkapule

I put some 301 into a plastic syringe. Damage occurred to the rubber tip on the plunger and the plastic was not affected. The smoothness of plunger movement became jerky.

Jimmer

I think TSI 301 was developed for gun cleaning, they might just be covering themselves in case some one damaged a urethane or other gun stock finish.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

BMITCH

I can tell you that certain kinds of plastics react poorly with acetone, while others seem to be unaffected. I'm just not sure of what types of plastic are not good. When in doubt test on a spot unseen.

Bob