tld 20/25

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

LYT,

For the handles, the 6/0 handles are nice and perfect for this reel at $33.  5+1 drag upgrades are also available, inlcuding metal washers at $25.

I have a 900H in service now and will try to post pics this evening for all to enjoy with the new 6/0 handle.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lyt

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to thank you all for making this a great experience....   

this board is very cool, one of the best i have been in.   Look forward to getting the parts and beginning my rookie attempt.    :)
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

lyt

Quote from: lyt on July 07, 2012, 12:30:03 AM
Hey Guys,

this board is very cool, one of the best i have been in.   Look forward to getting the parts and beginning my rookie attempt.    :)

yeah alan PM'd me and got me sorted i think....i hope he saw the 900 I requested!

lyt

Quote from: lyt on July 07, 2012, 03:14:46 AM
Hey Guys,

yeah alan PM'd me and got me sorted i think....i hope he saw the 900 I requested!

whoops   i just figured out that the quote is at the TOP of the post not the bottom....that last quote was supposed to be for Bryan!

Bryan Young

Having issues with pics. Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lyt

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 07, 2012, 05:56:05 AM
Having issues with pics. Sorry.

Hey Bryan, love to see those pics.....

I found the best site ever for image hosting ....totally free and super easy....found it 3 days ago and i will never go back!

http://imgur.com/

alantani

Hey Guys,

i'm still trying to catch up.  i usually send out 4/0 grips.  would you like the 6/0 grip?  they actually are better. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lyt

i dont need the handle for the daiwa....it has a HUGE crank handle already

but thanks!

cathauler65

Alan,

Wonder if you can shed some light on an issue with one of my TLD20s.

As I'm sure you know the cam is designed so the drag at full gives around 160% of the strike drag and this is the case with 3 of my reels. A fourth reel gives around 220% of the strike drag at full. All reels have carbontex drags and your belleville modifications. Any idea on what may be causing this difference?

alantani

At the higher drag ranges, small differences in the thickness of the cam can make big changes in the final drag.  You should be able to confirm this by switching cams.

cathauler65

Thanks, Alan - The right answer, as always.

After swapping the cams around eventually got all reels to produce around the same strike/full drag ratio.

urbanRenewal

I have a almost new TLD20.  The clicker stopped working except when the reel is in free spool.  As soon as you begin to advance the drag the clicker is no longer engaged.  I took the reel apart and everything "looks" right.  Cleaned, greased and reassembled it and still no clicker when the drag is engaged.

I searched this site and found a post on a Penn 80 where it was mentioned that engaging the drag might be lifting the clicker gear up and out of contact with the little pawl.  Since this is a stock reel is it likely there is something out of spec in the drag or bearing stack allowing the spool to move (lift towards the handle side) too much?

Thanks,  Tom
Cudjoe Key, FL

urbanRenewal

I think I found the problem.  After posting the "help" msg above I went back and took the reel apart again.  Looking closely at the clicker end of the spool I found that the pawl for the clicker has a approx 45 degree bevel worn in the pointy end.  It probably has just enough material to engage (for now) in free spool but as soon as the spool shifts when the drag is engaged I'll bet there is no contact.

I'll order a new pawl and might as well get a gear too since the assembly wore out pretty quickly. 

Tom

alantani

Tarponjack

Just bought TLD 25 that has your upgrades, and would like to use 65# braid on it, but I've heard braid isn't  recommend for this reel.

Just wanted to know if this is in fact true?

I'm new to these types of reels, so pardon my ignorance.,.