tld 20/25

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan (+ 2 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Vespa

For up grade My Tld 20 Mono speed

alantani

good start.  let me know if you need bellevilles or shim washers for the pressure plate. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Vespa

Hi Alan,
I have changed only carbon drag
and grease reel and the "open" bearings.
I not have test the drag but
seem fine.
Are the belleville  obligated?

alantani

no.  they are only useful if you wish to push the drag range higher.  anything past 20 pounds/9kg puts the frame at risk of cracking. 

Kayaker

Anyone have a TLD 25 cross pin laying around they would sell?   I decided to lube up my reel, and this cross pin fell into the abyss.  My work area is actually clean for a once, I guess no good deed goes unpunished.  :P

Key 46

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/98TLD_25_ARB_v1_m56577569830570245.pdf

PanamaTom

Alan, Greetings from Mariato, Panama. I have about 6 old TLD 20/25s that I abused in Panama fishing for big Broomtail Groupers, AJs and Cubera Snappers. Ill of them have one or more bad bearings and are in very rough condition. They have been in a box for years while I took a 8 year break from that type of fishing. I am now retired and am trying to get everything ready for some major fishing in Panama this Spring. I was going to buy all new reels until I ran across this thread. I am now motivated to rebuild the old TLDs. Since many of the bearing will need to be replaced, is there any merit in going with Ceramic Boca Bearings?  PanamaTom

whalebreath

No need to drop money for ceramic bearings in a unit not meant for casting.

PanamaTom

Thank you Whalebreath. I do use the Speed Masters for casting so I will use them on those reels.

alantani

Quote from: Kayaker on August 15, 2015, 12:41:46 AM
Anyone have a TLD 25 cross pin laying around they would sell?   I decided to lube up my reel, and this cross pin fell into the abyss.  My work area is actually clean for a once, I guess no good deed goes unpunished.  :P

Key 46

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/98TLD_25_ARB_v1_m56577569830570245.pdf

call shimano at 877-577-0600.  they usually send out things like this for free!

alantani

Quote from: PanamaTom on November 14, 2015, 03:41:59 PM
Alan, Greetings from Mariato, Panama. I have about 6 old TLD 20/25s that I abused in Panama fishing for big Broomtail Groupers, AJs and Cubera Snappers. Ill of them have one or more bad bearings and are in very rough condition. They have been in a box for years while I took a 8 year break from that type of fishing. I am now retired and am trying to get everything ready for some major fishing in Panama this Spring. I was going to buy all new reels until I ran across this thread. I am now motivated to rebuild the old TLDs. Since many of the bearing will need to be replaced, is there any merit in going with Ceramic Boca Bearings?  PanamaTom

tom, a couple of things to consider.  first, it really is a good thing to replace all the white canvas drags in this reel with carbon fiber.  the carbontex drag washers from smoothdrag are $19 each and really are very important.  next is the bearings. just stick with plain abec-5 stainless steel.  for maximum life, you can pack the bearings with grease.  a mini bearing packer is really helpful here.  and lastly, the handles.  i have a great stainless steel handle arm with a large grip.  it really helps!!! 

the other issue is drag range.  the wide frame is actually weaker than the narrow frame.  you are functionally limited to straight 60# mono or a 60# topshot with 18 pounds of drag.  anything more and you risk cracking the frame.  since you've used these reels before, i'm guessing they were adequate then and will still be adequate now, but it might be worth re-evaluating them if you are considering a higher drag range. 

if you need parts, let me know.  thanks! alan

PanamaTom

Alan, I have taken apart 2 of my TLD-20s and will need to procure some parts and lubrication products before I proceed with the rebuild. I think I will upgrade to the larger handles. I contact you directly in the next week with list of parts I will need. Looks like one of them was serviced by one of my mates and some parts are missing.  I have found these reels to be great for top water trolling wahoo, dorado and smaller tuna but not enough beef for reef digging. I have switched to the TLD 2 speeds for the heavier work.  Thank you for your reply.  Tom

Stuck

This afternoon I gave a friend's near new TLD25 a quick once over (thorough lube and a home cut carbontex washer ie. no tabs). Before I started I'd noticed that the drag was a bit lumpy but I wasn't too concerned as I was blaming the stock canvas washer. The problem I'm having is the drag is still lumpy when set at 10lb at strike. I've done a few TLD's of my own and all came up silky smooth after the washer replacement. I've got no problems swapping out parts with one of my TLD's as a process of elimination but is there anything else I could have overlooked ?.

Thanks,
Anthony.

RowdyW

Hi Stuck, did you grease the drags with Cal's? Are you cranking the reel against the drag while holding the spool. Doing that will not give you a correct reading on the smoothness of the drags. Hook it to a friend to run with it or the dog or a short run with the car or whatever you can get to pull drag like a fish on the run. Also is the drag cover tightened down securely on the edges of the drag washer?    RUDY

Bryan Young

Hi Anthony,

Are you holding the spool and cranking or is someone taking the line walking away from you?

Holding the spool may feel lumpy because it's difficult for use to control the side load of the spool.  try tying the line off on someone or something and move away as fast or slow as you want to test the drags and see how it is.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Stuck

Thanks for your replies. I've hooked the snap swivel to a nail in a post and am walking away holding the rod. What I do notice is that although there are a few tight spots during every turn of the spool, when the knot for the double is still on the spool it stops in about the same position every time. The drag washer has a small amount of freeplay inside the spoo lplus I used the biscuit colour Cal's and the LH threaded drag nut was locked down reasonably firm using the tool. To my way of thinking, there's only 2 parts left to check being the spool and the drag plate but if there's something I've missed please correct me.

Thanks again,
Anthony.