Troubleshooting a Daiwa Sealine X40HA

Started by Nick20722, February 20, 2012, 04:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick20722

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_Sealine_X_40HA%2C_50HA.pdf

I could use some help troubleshooting my Daiwa Sealine X40HA.  I have tried several other sites with no luck.  Right now I have torn the reel completely apart and relubed everything.  I am experiencing two problems I'm needing help with.

1. When I turn the star drag the handle becomes harder to turn as if the reel is binding.  There also doesn't seem to be any drag pressure even when the lever is in the on position.

2. The drag gear does not always spin the pinion gear when the handle is turned.  It spins the spool if it is not adjusted too tightly, but it is not spinning like it should for the revolutions of the handle.  

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm pretty well lost after tearing it apart 10,000 times with the same result.  Thanks!

alantani

the more you tighten the star, the harder it is to turn the handle, both in gear and out, right? 

first guess is that the star is binding against the side plate.  the main gear, drags, washers and bearings should be "tall" enough to prevent the star from touching the side plate.  can you check that first?  that typically happens if you do not have the parts in order.  for instance, a washer or spacer might be "above" the star instead of "below."

let's check that first.  can you let us know?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nick20722

That's right, it doesn't matter in gear or not.  Below are the pictures I took last night and I will take the drags apart and show you the order I have put them back together in. 

This reads left to right and is on top of the drag stack.  I install the side plate and then start with the bearing on the left.  I have made sure that the washers are in the () configuration. 

The star does not seem to touch the side plate completely but it does end up covering about half of the Click Spring and Click Leaf Spring Holder #s 76 and 77.

I realize this is only half the picture of that assembly, so I will take another tonight unless you see an issue with this.

Bryan Young

That seems correct.  When installed, is the click spring upwards towards the star?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Wild guess here.....

Make sure the Drag Plates (eared and keyed) are not obstructed in the main gear and travel free 
On the shaft and in the cut outs for eared plates...
Kind of sounds like they are binding... 
No drag pressure and hard turning of handle (throws the shaft out of alignment).....

Slight burs on the shaft or in the Main Gear cut outs (for ears) can do that...
Or they can get misaligned when assembling the side plate.....

?????
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

QuoteWhen installed, is the click spring upwards towards the star?
x2 - that's a really easy mistake to make...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nick20722

I'm not sure what you mean by saying is the click spring up towards the star.  There's only one way I could see it being right when I slide it onto the drive shaft...

redsetta

You've probably done it right, but the click spring is often flipped during reassembly.
Here's a pic to clarify:

Note the click spring (#77) is on top of the spring housing (#76), towards the star (as Bryan noted).
Let us know how you get on...
Good luck, Justin

Nick20722

That was it  ::) looking at the blown up picture I had to turn it around.  It. Looks like it should go the other way until you blow up the schematic.  Reel works great now.  I'll take a picture and post in case we need a reference for the future.

THANKS

redsetta

Great to hear - well done Nick.
Cheers, Justin

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

chxh8me

Holy crap.  So glad I found this thread.  I spent the last week servicing all my reels and my sealine HV was the last one on the list... And should have been one of the easiest.

However, the schematic I was working off of didn't even have the click spring on it.  I never would have realized  that the upside down click spring was the cause of the binding issue.  I spent the last two evenings tearing the sealine down and rebuilding it several times hoping it would magically start working properly.

Thank you guys!!!!