I blame you Alan

Started by trentless, February 25, 2012, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trentless

;)
It's official, I'm now a reel repair addict!  All of my fishing buddies now bring me their reels to fix. I guess it's time to start charging more than a six pack since my buddy John just showed up with 2) 5 gallon buckets of reels!
So far lots of learning and fun!
Need some help figuring out why the anti reverse no longer works (can wind handle forwards and back) on a Shimano Stradic 5000 FH? 
I'm sure it's some little pin or something I missed on the build back.

Thanks,
Trent

Dominick

Trent:  Spinning reels are complicated.  I looked at the schematic.  You might take a look at parts 1520, 7877 and 7936 and see if the anti-reverse system is correctly installed.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishermans Paradise

could be the clutch is shot too, i have seen that in a few stradic 4000's.

alantani

i hate spinners.......    ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

D impala95

Make sure the anti reverse cam is seated correctly in the anti reverse assembly.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

Bryan Young

I also hate spinners.  got one Penn 8500SS done, one more to go, then two Stradic 2500s.  I started and had to put that one down.  I am trying to figure out how the rotor comes off without brute force...but it may need brute force.  Will tackle when I have more energy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Glos

spinners are biatches, hardest to figure out way to make them as smooth as it should be
almost impossible
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Ron Jones

Toby Keith has a song about his buddy Fred, who can take care of anything (Call a Marine.) We have our own Fred. When it comes to spinners, CALL FOAKES!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Midway Tommy

Quote from: glos on September 26, 2018, 03:47:15 PM
spinners are biatches, hardest to figure out way to make them as smooth as it should be
almost impossible

They're really not as difficult as some make them out to be, it's mostly a mind game. If you think you can't make it right or smooth you surely won't. All it takes is some confidence and methodical investigation before jumping in with both feet. If it can be manufactured it can be repaired back to original as long as parts are available or can be made.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

exp2000

Check that the clutch cam switch is in the correct position.

Unless the Roller clutch is damaged, this is the only thing that will affect it's operation.

As for spinners, it all depends on experience I guess.

One year, heaps of Calcutta TE's were coming in so they became easy.
But that dried up a couple of years go and now I have to check the schematics when reassembling.

This year, lots of spinners are coming in. Now my favorite is small Thunnuns Ci4's - I know them back to front.

I can take an abused reel and make it sing :)

Practice makes perfect.
~

Glos

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 26, 2018, 04:34:49 PM
Quote from: glos on September 26, 2018, 03:47:15 PM
almost impossible

They're really not as difficult as some make them out to be, it's mostly a mind game. If you think you can't make it right or smooth you surely won't. All it takes is some confidence and methodical investigation before jumping in with both feet. If it can be manufactured it can be repaired back to original as long as parts are available or can be made.   
lol, I would say you just have to learn to let it go at some point..
( but also yes, they can be fixed, with a looot of knowledge and messed up ones behind )
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

CapeFish

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2012, 07:32:49 AM
I also hate spinners.  got one Penn 8500SS done, one more to go, then two Stradic 2500s.  I started and had to put that one down.  I am trying to figure out how the rotor comes off without brute force...but it may need brute force.  Will tackle when I have more energy.

Be careful, if it has a nut holding the rotor like a sustain, it is reverse threaded. I damaged mine using the brute force approach, just breathed deeply and phoned Shimano who luckily had spares. As a kid I wrecked several spinners self servicing, I learnt a lot  :) ;D and today I have zero affinity to any old spinning reels, there is just no warm fuzzy feeling when I see an old Mitchel, Dam, Silstar Ambidex or Daiwa  :) I did a last ditch attempted restore of two old Silstars a while back to see if I am perhaps missing something  and they went into the recycling.

Gfish

Got a Stratic 8000 & 3000, FJ series. Good spinners considering the amount of plastic. Corrosion of the line roller and the clutch cam switch are chronic problems for me.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Porthos

My go-to spinner of 5+ years for San Diego Bay shore fishing is a U.S. Reel 230G. U.S. Reel went belly up a few years ago so the only way to repair its worn line roller and bushing was to buy a parts reel, a warranty return it appeared, that had a shattered pot metal main gear...$20 from the auction site.

sharkman

Some spinning reels the anti-reverse bearing can be very finicky. Make sure its very clean.