Bearing size versus casting distance

Started by Makule, February 22, 2012, 08:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Some time ago, I read an article about distance casting in which the author stated that the best reels to use (everything else being equal) were those that had large bearings (not bushings).   There was no elaboration about this but my guess is that larger bearings would turn slower even when the spool were rotating at a high speed, and create less drag.  I've never seen/heard any discussion about this since.

Any thoughts about bearing size versus casting distance?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

i do know that reels with larger bearings do not freespool for as long a period of time.  seen that a couple of times.  it could possibly affect casting distance, but i would have no way of reliably determining that. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Quote from: alantani on February 22, 2012, 08:20:12 PM
i do know that reels with larger bearings do not freespool for as long a period of time.  seen that a couple of times.  it could possibly affect casting distance, but i would have no way of reliably determining that. 

Did the reels with larger bearings have comparable spool weights and lube?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.