g229f reel foot(base)

Started by jimgosc, February 28, 2012, 12:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimgosc

hi,
I have a g229f that i'd like to use with an old conolon blank i'm rebuilding with a fuji pssld20 reel seat. However, the newell reel base does not fit seat (my avet 5.3 does fit this seat). is there a different base i can use with this reel? i thought i read somewhere that some of the older/smaller penn's(140/145) would fit.
any suggestions?
thanks, jim

alantani

i have a bunch of very old corroded reel seats.  if you send me a pm with your address, i can send you one of these junk reel seats just to see if it will fit.  at least that will give us some place to start.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ratchet

Quote from: jimgosc on February 28, 2012, 12:44:49 AM
i thought i read somewhere that some of the older/smaller penn's(140/145) would fit.
any suggestions?
thanks, jim

Sometimes the original Newell foot just won't fit on some rods.  One fix is to try the foot from the Penn 65 Long Beach (part # 30-65) if you can find one.
Don't forget that you will have to shorten the frame screws otherwise loose loops of line will get caught with very bad results.

jimgosc

Hi Alan,
I received the reel seat foot/base. Thank you very much. It's a little too wide, so I'm searching for a 30-65 as Rachet has suggested (thanks Rachet). Found an old beat-up non-salvageable Penn 65 at the flea market this morning, but the guy wanted $35??, so I'll keep searching.
I'll let you know if the 30-65 fits
Jim

alantani

can you measure it out with calipers?

jimgosc

The original 229 base measures 54mm wide, plus or minus .5-.7mm. it's 37.50 long, and the screw holes are 32mm center to center.

alantani

bluefish69

Scott's in N.J has that reel seat [mysticparts.com] If they are out of stock I have 1 or 2. They are about $15 New

I am not on here every day so email me tstatman@gmail.com

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

kili05

Did you look at tiburon frames?

alantani

jim, i am sending you a 65 reel seat.  i also have some tiburon frames these reels.  whatever you end up not using, please send back.  thanks!  alan

jimgosc

Hi Alan,
The 30-65 reel seat fits perfectly on my 229. Just have to trim the screws a little. I cleaned it up, and sent it along with the trim rings and handle nut to a friend  that owns a powder coating shop. He's going to match the thread color I picked for the rod. I'll send a photo when I'm done.
I mailed the other base to you yesterday, with a note.
Thanks again, Jim

alantani

well, at least we know if fits.  keep an eye out for one in better shape, or order one from mysticparts.com.  or just keep the one you have.  glad it's working, though.  alan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

jimgosc

Hi Alan,
Here's some photos of the finished product. The rod turned out to be softer than I originally thought, but it's going to be a great salmon rod. New bearings and drag washers, and a good cleaning (thanks to your tutorial) and the 229 works perfectly.
Thanks again for all your help.
Jim

redsetta

Great work Jim - where there's a will, there's a way.  ;) ;D
Also good to know there are some common measurements across these parts.
Cheers for the pics, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

That's a sweet set-up you got there Jim.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D