Shimano Calcutta CTE250DC service/rebuild

Started by D impala95, February 28, 2012, 01:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D impala95

Here's a reel service/repair that I haven't seen. It's my very own reel so it's not a rebuild but just a full service. It's basically a CTE with the extra electronics.

To remove the sideplate you need to remove the side plate shaft #3199, the big slotted head screw

Side plate and shaft removed

This is what you see, the digitol control assembly

Once you remove the two screws #3031 the unit is easily pushed out by pushing the spool

The digitol control assembly removed

A close up showing the spool bearing #2927 (3x10x4)

The digital end of the spool, nothing to service on this end

Nothing to service on the other end

Now you have to remove the handle nut plate and screw #3061 & 3060

Remove the handle nut #3713 using a 10mm socket

The star simply pulls off

Under the star

In order, the star drag spring #2125, star drag nut #3715, star drag spacer #2127, bellville washers #15, bearing washer #2128 and the drive shaft bearing #2954

The bearing, still on the shaft

It appears that the bearing is pressed into a plastic collar. So you should be able to remove it from the collar should the need arise. The bearing itself measures 8x12x3.50

To remove the handle side plate you must remove the three screws #3066, 3068 and 3070

Note all three screws are different lengths

#3066 is the forward most screw and is the shortest
#3068 is the top screw, 2nd longest
#3070 is the bottom screw and is the longest

Nothing to service on the inside of the plate

Handle side spool bearing #2927 must be removed from the outside, it is held in place by a bearing retainer #32

Here's the guts of the reel

The main gear and drags

Yes it already has Carbontex drags intalled. I changed out the Dartanium drags as soon as I got the reel.

The drag washer under the gear measures 8x25.5x1.03
The drag washer in the main gear measures 25.50x32.90x1.05

If you wanted there is room to increase the size of the main drag washer by decreasing the inside diameter to 11.20, so it'll be 11.20x32.90x1.05

To remove the pinion bearing #2937 you must remove the pinion gear and yoke then remove the clutch cam retainer screws and the retainer #1636 & 2165

Remove the driveshaft by removing the drive shaft retainer and screws

The drive shaft assembly intact

Be careful with the small E clip

Seperated

The drive shaft bearing measures 5x8x2.50

Remove the clutch cam #2447, clutch pawl #2449, clutch pawl spring #2450 and clutch plate #2448

Remove the level wind assembly by removing the pawl cap and line guide pawl then remove the E clips on the worm gear and level wind guide. Everything slides out toward the handle side.

The worm gear bearing measures 5x8x2.50

Remove the frame shield #3078 and the screw #1237

Reassembly is simply reversing the dissassembly process. All screw holes were greased as were the drags and inner reel body/side cover parts.

Finally to remove the grips you must remove the grip cap

and grip retaining nut (right hand thread)

Here are the grip parts

The grip bearings measure 4x7x2.50 (4)

Believe it or not but this little guy with greased carbontex drags maxs out at #8 1/2 of drag.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

D impala95

Does anyone know of an Ambassaduer style anti reverse pawl that has a pivot hole of 5mm? I want to see if I can put one on this little gem.
I'm a trained killer.

Don Leitao

Jayce

Shimano has the BNT 2404 Anti Reverse Pawl.

alantani

one of the calcutta pawls will most certainly work here.  nice job on the photos.  interesting that they would put greased carbon fiber drags in this reel.  i hope that the message is finally getting through to them that they cannot cut corners on any of their reels, from the most expensive calcutta and trinidad dc's down to their cheapest corsairs. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

D impala95

Quote from: alantani on February 28, 2012, 06:20:27 PM
one of the calcutta pawls will most certainly work here.  nice job on the photos.  interesting that they would put greased carbon fiber drags in this reel.  i hope that the message is finally getting through to them that they cannot cut corners on any of their reels, from the most expensive calcutta and trinidad dc's down to their cheapest corsairs.  

They still don't. I think they won't change until they exhaust their supply of Dartanium. I changed the drags out as soon as I got it home. :)
I'm a trained killer.

Don Leitao

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

D impala95

Justin, I saw your post when you first posted it. Do you know the pivot hole size on that pawl? I need one that has a 5mm hole to fit on the existing shaft/post. I ordered part #BNT2914 from the Calcutta 700TE as it looks like the same size shaft/post. It was only $2.46 plus shipping & tax.
I'm a trained killer.

Don Leitao

redsetta

If it'd help, I'll measure it tonight.
I had a feeling that question would arise...  ;)
Cheers, Justin

D impala95

I got the pawl and bushing from Shimano for the DC, it's from a 700TE

This is where it should go, a post that does nothing as the reel sits bone stock

Post without the bushing

and with

Next is to place the pawl on the anti reverse ratchet because there is not enough room in the reel because of a limiting post

Slide the ratchet and pawl down the main shaft

The ratchet and pawl seated fully

Uh oh, the spacer is too tall so the ratchet does not seat all the way on the main shaft

So I removed the bushing and the pawl fits perfect

The main gear fits with no problem

Just enough clearance

Now I don't have to worry that the anti reverse bearing won't hold the extra drag force.
I'm a trained killer.

Don Leitao

redsetta

Great stuff D - well done.
Cheers for the update, Justin