Previous topic - Next topic

D impala95

First thing is to remove the side plate

As you can see it's cammed. You push in the button and rotate counter clockwise

Once unlocked simply pull it off

Here's the inside view showing the brake collar and spool bearing 3x10x4

The spool still inside the frame. Nothing to service on this end of the spool

The drive end of the spool and the mid shaft bearing 5x11x4

Removal of the handle is actually quite simple and you don't need any tools. Simply push the star drag in toward the reel body and turn the handle backwards.

As you can see, the star and handle are cogged, locking the handle and keeping it from unscrewing

Under the star

The drag spring, drag nut and bellvilles removed

To remove the handle side cover you need to remove the screw on the inside of the frame

Then the two outer screws

All three screws are different. The screw on the inside of the frame is the larger bottom screw. The short screw goes on the front of the cover and the longer goes on the bottom of the cover.

The inside of the handle side cover

The anti reverse bearing and the spool bearing 3x8x4

The guts of the reel

Remove the main gear and drag washers

The under gear drag washer measures 8x18.50x0.95
The main drag washer meaures 16x26x1

Remove the Yoke springs, yoke and pinion gear simply by lifting them off

Remove the yoke guide, retainer, pinion guide, freespool pawl and associated springs

To remove the drive shaft you must remove the retainer screw first them the shaft simply pulls out

Unlike Shimano, Pflueger does not retain the drive shaft bearing on the shaft. The drive shaft bearing measures 5x9x3

To remove the level wind you must remove the front cover, held on by two screws

The front cover simply pulls off by pulling forward

Remove the two E clips and everything slides out

The spool bearing 3x8x4 under the spool tension cap

Remove the grips by removing the phillips screw

The 2 grip bearings 5x8x2.50 (4 total) and the phillips screw and grip

Since I upgraded the reel drags to Carbontex when I got it, I only needed to regrease them. All spool bearings were also changed to ABEC5 ceramic hybrids. I know Alan does not like them but let me tell you, in a small baitcaster like this they give you an extra 20-30 yards of distance. The spool bearings were lubed with Extreme Reel + and the rest were greased.

With a carbontex upgrade this reels maxs out at 5.5 lbs of drag.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

alantani

i would think that this would be a good example of where ceramic bearings and xtreme reel + would offer an advantage. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

D impala95

I too have been dissappointed in the longevity of Extreme Reel +. One thing with these small baitcasters is you can access the spool bearings quite easily so relubing is a snap.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

mo65

This is a true winner of a reel. I've been fishing one of these things for well over 15 years now...without a hitch. Tackletour gave this reel an 8.91 best value award, and I'll have to agree. A few days ago mine took it's second dunk into the drink, so I figured a squirt of oil on the bearings might be a good idea. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Christopher M Songer

very nice work. Just took one of these apart Thurs. It was covered in fish scales and filthy. It will never be as nice as this one.
Always go forward, never go straight