pro ex 4/0-2

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat, akroper, PRSD, Bryan Young, ExcessiveAngler, ReelFishingProblems, Jigtosser, jzman, reelynew, Porthos, mike ferdinands and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rothmar2

Well, I was not overly happy with the performance of the drag after re-assembling from the above pix. It had a bit of stickiness from start up which I was not happy with. It was back to the lapping plate, this time with coarse grit, and another hour was spent working away at it. Eventually I flattened out all but the gouge, itself. I suspect the low spot around the gouge had something to do with it. Bit of a finish with the fine grit, but decided not to polish up shiny. Viola! Drag is now very smooth. Have the plate set on the low pegs, no scales on hand, but with a few wraps of the 200lb wind-on that is on the spool, there is enough force to start crushing my hand! And it slips beautifully. Very happy with the result.

Robert Janssen

Good.

Question is, how did it get that way? That's the kind of thing that usually doesn't happen by itself.

Funny, (or not) once upon a time i came up with a drag material that had no trouble with an uneven opposing surface. It could run on that plate, smooth as silk. I know so, because that is how i tested it: removed smooth flat drag washer from a reel, beat randomly with hammer until thoroughly misshapen and reinstalled. Worked perfectly. Had a meeting with Big Powerful Friction Material Company People; they didn't care. A year later, someone else had patented it. Hmm.

Rothmar2

The gouge and distortion of the plate? No idea. All I know is the current owner acquired it from someone who gave it a serious workout. I have been wondering the same thing as to how it got this way myself. There are no missing or damaged parts in the reel, other than the plate.
  The original owner has passed way, I guess we'll never know. There was a bit of evidence to suggest the reel had been opened previously....perhaps a re-assembly error?

Robert, your story reminds me of Simon Anderson (anyone here into surfing?). Designed the "thruster" surfboard and proved its superior design in waves around the world in 1981. By '83, "everyone" was riding a 3 finned thruster. The mind boggles at the amount of thrusters that have been made worldwide in 30-odd years.
And Simon never patented it.......

Rothmar2

Finally got bearings sent and fitted, and really gave this reel some pain.
Max drag setting at which the slightest tightening on the handle could be felt when cranking.
Drag greased and silky smooth. Drag plate fitted on low pegs. Still attained free spool. Sorry didn't check the strike setting on the way up. Don't think the end plate bearings would be up to prolonged stress at this load. But then, neither would any angler standing up! An awesome reel for its size.
Numbers in red are kilograms.

maxpowers

I just picked up a silver one last night from the longfin in Orange, CA for $179 with 80 lbs topshot and about 300 yards of braid.  I took it apart and went through the whole reel thanks to the tutorial from Alan T.  None of the bearings had any sufficient grease so I greased all the non-spool bearings and use tsi on the 2 spool bearings.  Loaded it back up with 80 lbs hollow and got about 33 lbs of drag on straight pull at strike.

Thanks Alan.

alantani

best reel in it's class!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mitchman

I just picked one of these up for cheap, but it needs some TLC. I want to order some bearings but it doesn't seem that Boca or VXB really have the correct sizes. Should I just order some EX-30 bearings from Avet or does someone else have better after market bearings?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mitchman

Perfect! Thanks Alan.

mitchman

So made the drag modifications here and installed the bearings from smoothdrag and everything feels good so I'm ready to rock now!

Two things though  ;D

1) The clicker seems to be only half working, but I'm aware its not this reels strong point. It just doesn't sounds intermittent and not loud.....do I just need to replace the spring? Any aftermarket mods for this....you can't drill & drop in the EX30 clicker mechanism can you?

2) The handle knob is worn (wobbles) on the knob shaft and I'd like to replace the whole knob/shaft with an aftermarket T-Bar. I took the knob out last night night but coudln't get the plug out of the shaft to see how to remove the knob shaft from the handle. Is there any good way to remove the shaft for the knob or does it have to be drilled out?

Keta

Quote from: mitchman on June 19, 2015, 01:09:07 PMIs there any good way to remove the shaft for the knob or does it have to be drilled out?

Old or new style handle?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mitchman

Nevermind, the plug was wedged in the handle shaft and i got it out with some PB blaster and elbow grease. The knob shaft screwed into the handle. Thinking about upgrading with a reel power handle aftermarket handle though I am aware it will require some drilling out. Is the spring for the clicker still available since they chance the clicker configuration on the EX?

Keta

Quote from: mitchman on June 22, 2015, 01:48:35 PM
The knob shaft screwed into the handle.

Old style then, I put EX50 handles on my 2 4/0s.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

How does the HX Raptor compare to this reel?

mitchman

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 10, 2015, 03:50:29 PM
How does the HX Raptor compare to this reel?

This reel is same size at the EXW30, so its a larger size than the HX.