pro ex 4/0-2

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out, sciaenops, Porthos, mike ferdinands, funhog, stoked4fishin, jzman, Hankzudd, Stringer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TJS23

Ah ok, thanks Alan. I bought this as the price was right and thought it was possible to hotrod it to a 100lb reel giving 30 at strike as per your step by step. Looks like it's back to the rusty internationals for me then!

alantani

just button down the preset knob and see if you can get 30.  i'll bet you can.  then muscle that lever forward and see how well it holds up.  worst case, you have to replace the pinion bearing, but it might work out.  give it a try! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lobo de mar

Joined your site yesterday and this is my first post.  I picked up a  4/02 ex and a exw recently, both look like new. I'd like to have them improved as shown in this thread. Do you still have access to the needed parts? Cost to have done? thanks

alantani

The only extra part you might need is a larger handle grip. Otherwise,  it's a standard service. 

lobo de mar

Thanks, you'll be seeing them sometime in the not too distant future. :)

enfish

Based on Alan's tutorial and reviews on this reel, I took a chance on buying one that had some free spool issues since the price was right. The reel was new in box, old stock EXW. When I popped the side plate and pulled the spool off, it became clear what the main source of the problem was. The outside brake plate was not sitting straight on the spool shaft.

After messing around with it for a while, I was able to get it to sit straight by replacing the lock washer (key #18) with two 3mm flat washers. I tried using no washers at first, thinking that this problem could explain why many of the reels Alan's seen don't have it, but the screw head was slightly too small to provide a solid surface for the brake plate to sit straight. One flat washer improved it, but two washers made it the best. The thickness of the 2 flat washers ended up being close to the same as the lock washer.

This was much better!

At this point I did the full service, greasing all non-spool bearings and screw holes, oiling the spool bearings, and greasing the drag washers with Cal's. Of note, all 6 of the drag plate posts appeared to be the same height, so I didn't have the option to move the drag plate closer to the spool. So I went ahead and put it all back together. After doing that, the free spool was improved, but not great.

So back apart the reel came again. I added a shim underneath the inside brake plate, but the thinnest I had was 0.018", which pushed the drag washer into contact with the drag plate at all times. Maybe if I had one that was 0.010" it would have worked.

For the next option, I changed the Belleville stack from ()() to (((( and believe it or not, that did the trick. Now the reel has 35 lbs of drag at strike with over 30 seconds of free spool. But, if I turn the reel handle side down, the spool rubs up against one of the drag washers slightly and stops spinning. Any pointers on what needs to be done to fix that are appreciated.

Eric

alantani

shimming the right spool bearing to take out any play should do the trick!  otherwise, looks great!!!!!!

SoCalAngler

Installing the washers like (((( reduces the height, maybe try ((() or add a shim in there like (((I)

enfish

Thanks guys. I think I'm understanding it now. ()() is too tall. (((( is too short. I need to find that magical stack height that doesn't push the drag plate up against the outside drag washer but also doesn't allow the drag plate to fall onto the inside drag washer when the reel is tilted to the right. Is it correct that adding a shim like |(((( or ((((| won't change the drag curve from what is now, but changing the Belleville orientation like ((() or (((|) will (however slight it might be)?

Luckily I don't have to pull the drag plate off anymore to do this. The C-clips on there now have been taken on and off so many times, I had to true them up with some small needle-nose to get them to stay on the last time. So I might have to buy more for next time. I did all my work removing and replacing them inside a gallon sized ziplock bag so that the couple times one did go flying, it didn't go far. :-)