You know you're a Reel-Head when......

Started by Caranx, March 08, 2012, 08:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

I'm not far in time spent on the site 28 days +. I can't wait to go to work on the boat again this year. This will be my 7 th. year working galley on the boats. I did 10yrs. working dock in the 80's in a different port.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

philaroman

Since the subject of wives came up earlier, I need to get some advice from you guys about a  serious problem:
I have suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating on me...  the usual signs: if the phone rings and I answer, the caller hangs up; she goes out with the girls a lot, I try to stay awake to look out for her when she comes home but I usually fall asleep.  Anyway, last night about midnight I hid in the shed behind the boat. When she came home she got out of someone's car buttoning her blouse, then she took her panties out of her purse and slipped them back on...  It was at that moment, crouched behind the boat, that I noticed a hairline crack in the outboard engine mounting bracket. Is that something I can weld, or do I need to replace the whole bracket?

Tightlines667

Lol...
Don't think you can weld cast alum.  Though I admit this is not my specialty.  As far as the wife thing goes...can't really offer much advice there either, since I've litterally got no real world experience with either.  Good luck!  Might involve a bit more work then anticipated?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I think you better replace that whole bracket Phil. That was funny! You get the Cigar Now! :D :D :D
Life is Good!

fng

OK, Im officially a reel head. I can identify with more than half of the previous threads, but here is mine;
When you have a therapy reel that you have just to hold and crank (my squidder 140, red side plates, red handle, and red plastic spool with all the metal parts buffed down to brass).

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BMITCH

Use the welder on the wife then you can buy a whole new boat. Problems solved
luck is the residue of design.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: fng on April 19, 2014, 05:38:16 AM
...therapy reel...

and it becomes your mantra, then you definitely belong to the "CLUB"...:)

Shark Hunter

When your wife says. "You didn't get any packages today?" ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

When the mail man goes out of his way to let you know there are no packages to pick up from the post office this week.

Also when all of the local reel repair shops inform you they are all outta bearings, and Bellevilles for all 80 and 130 reel models since I am using them faster then their orders have been filled.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

joel8080

You name your first born Penn and second born Senator.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: joel8080 on April 23, 2014, 01:53:16 PM
You name your first born Penn and second born Senator.

Joel 8080

or Senator Penn... ;) :)

joel8080

Senator Penn sounds like some one thats going to serve time down the road..

Joel80880

Oceanside,California

erikpowell

I wouldn't be too happy if I was born Richard Squidder    ;D

Three se7ens

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 19, 2014, 02:40:52 AM
Lol...
Don't think you can weld cast alum.  Though I admit this is not my specialty.  As far as the wife thing goes...can't really offer much advice there either, since I've litterally got no real world experience with either.  Good luck!  Might involve a bit more work then anticipated?

Cast aluminum welds fine, just make sure it's very clean.  Grind to the bottom of the crack, and fill with weld.

It's cast iron that's problematic to weld.  Not impossible, just takes special procedures and precautions to do properly.