631 inner frame plates needed

Started by landlubber, March 15, 2012, 03:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landlubber

just bought a new/used 631 went to clean it and the inner rings where stamped wrong ( way bad) .  appreiate it if you guys keep an eye out for some good ones.  thanks jerry

Ratchet

Could you describe what you mean by "stamped wrong".   A photo would help.

Did you disassemble the frame?

Thanks,

Irish Jigger

landlubber

Quote from: Ratchet on March 15, 2012, 04:37:19 PM
Could you describe what you mean by "stamped wrong".   A photo would help.

Did you disassemble the frame?

Thanks,
sorry to take so long to respond .  when I lay them down on the inside side of the ring they do not lay flush, so when installing the bars on onr side they are pinched in so the frame wants to warp real bad.  this reel is like barnd new I love it its one of the early ones .

landlubber

Jimmer

Don't mean to be a dumas, what is a 631?
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

redsetta

G'day Jimmer, it's a Newell.
Here's a link to have a look at one: http://berinsontackle.com/products-page/1-reels/newell-s631-3-fishing-reel-new-in-the-box/.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

landlubber

Quote from: redsetta on April 03, 2012, 04:25:07 AM
G'day Jimmer, it's a Newell.
Here's a link to have a look at one: http://berinsontackle.com/products-page/1-reels/newell-s631-3-fishing-reel-new-in-the-box/.
Cheers, Justin
yup and thats where I got it. he has a few things you should check it once in a while.

Ratchet

Quote from: landlubber on April 03, 2012, 03:31:51 AM
   sorry to take so long to respond .  when I lay them down on the inside side of the ring they do not lay flush, so when installing the bars on onr side they are pinched in so the frame wants to warp real bad.  this reel is like barnd new I love it its one of the early ones .

From your description, I am assuming that you have disassembled the subframe, noticed that the inner stainless steel rings are/appear warped on reassembly and want to find replacement rings.  There are 2 problems.  Valley Manufacturing has closed it's operation, so you cannot get parts from the factory.  Even if you locate the correct parts, as many fishermen have discovered to their dismay, the replacements don't always fit, i.e. the screw holes don't line up correctly without binding.

If your "new" reel worked properly before disassembly and cleaning, your best option right now is to try and realign the subframe by loosely reassembling just the subframe, leaving both sideplates off for now. Slowly tighten the screws holding the subframe together in a crisscross pattern.  If the frame appears to warp, loosen and try again by swaping the frame posts from front to back or the reel foot, just one thing at a time and retest.  There are only 4 possible combinations.

Hopefully, you will get more suggestions as you try to sort your problem out.

Jimmer

Thanks for the link Justin, nice site. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

landlubber

Quote from: Ratchet on April 03, 2012, 01:40:36 PM

From your description, I am assuming that you have disassembled the subframe, noticed that the inner stainless steel rings are/appear warped on reassembly and want to find replacement rings.  There are 2 problems.  Valley Manufacturing has closed it's operation, so you cannot get parts from the factory.  Even if you locate the correct parts, as many fishermen have discovered to their dismay, the replacements don't always fit, i.e. the screw holes don't line up correctly without binding.

If your "new" reel worked properly before disassembly and cleaning, your best option right now is to try and realign the subframe by loosely reassembling just the subframe, leaving both sideplates off for now. Slowly tighten the screws holding the subframe together in a crisscross pattern.  If the frame appears to warp, loosen and try again by swaping the frame posts from front to back or the reel foot, just one thing at a time and retest.  There are only 4 possible combinations.

landlubber

Quote from: Ratchet on April 03, 2012, 01:40:36 PM

thanks I tried that , man what a shame but I still love my Newells. just have to wait till they reopen oh ya a prayer mite help

alantani

not sure here, but would filing down the plastic side plate help the rings to fit better?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!