Question - How to make a Penn 6/0 drag "Super Upgrade"

Started by snookcatcher1, March 20, 2012, 01:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snookcatcher1

With the HT-100, I can now get about 24#+ on my Penn 6/0, but would love to find a way to push it to 30#.  (A SS gear sleeve has been installed.)  

Is there a way to find thinner drag washers and increase the number of carbon washers in a 6/0 to make it a "Super Upgrade?"
Same question - How do I keep the drag stack thickness the same, but increase the number of washers?

Does Smoothdrag have a special stack like this for a Penn 6/0?

Would this require the reel's side plate to be retooled by a Dremel to make a little more room for the increased dumber of drag washers?

Alto Mare

I can get around 30lb with 5 +1 stack, but it would be happy at 25lb.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

There are thinner carbontex material from which to cut washers, but I'm not sure that the difference would be enough to add one more.

Also, in order to add more washers, you need to have the slotted gear cup a bit taller to accept one more keyed washer.  The sleeve might be tall enough, but if not, you'd need a taller sleeve as well.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

I am looking into this.  We may need to switch out the SS metal drag washers to thin Titanium, but it will not be good unless you also incorporate SS gears.  The brass gears may round out pretty quick.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I believe that all this reel needs is a set of 3.25 to 1  Accurate gears. This is a nice 20 to 25lb reel that won't fall apart if needed to be pushed a little more. If you need more punch, go with a larger reel. I would try it on the 9/0, it has a better pinion, 25lb of drag can stop quite a bit, fish over 1000lb have been caught in the past with a 9/0.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Squirmypug

I can push my 6/0 to 35 lbs of drag, I put greased ht100s in it a while ago and it has steel gears. If you have the ht100s in it you may just need to crank down the drag a little more.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

snookcatcher1

Harry

Be sure to have a Ht 100 under the main gear instead of that red fibre washer for higher drag preasure.