HYBRID (MACHINED ALUMINUM) DIAWA SLOSH 20/30 FRAMES

Started by LTM, March 20, 2012, 10:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

HEY GUYS, WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS TRIED THOSE ALUMINUM FRAMES FOR THE SLOSH SERIES AND WHAT ARE YOUR COMMENTS/IMPRESSIONS OF THIS PRODUCT.  I HAVE 4 OF THESE REELS (TWO SL20SH AND TWO SL30SH'S) AND IM VERY INTERESTED IN BRINGING NEW LIFE INTO THEM.  IN THE PAST DIAWA MADE THESE REELS WITH TWO DIFFERENT RT SIDE FRAME BEARING'S OD'S. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THESE FRAMES ARE MACHINED FOR THE SMALL OR LARGE BEARINGS? INSIGHTS/COMMENTS REGARDING THE SLOSH SERIES ARE WELCOMED. THANX AGAIN GUYS FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

LEO

alantani

there was a company a while back that was making them.  they looked great.  let us know if you find a link. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Wow - well spotted Jon. They look great.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

borchcl

I converted a SL20SH and a SL30SH to the Social Fishing aluminum frames. Easy conversion, comes with bearings installed. Haven't tried them out yet, used the stansard version for Gulf Coast snapper and tuna this passed winter.
borchcl

LTM

Borchd,

Thanx for responding. Please let us know how these frames work out for you.  BTW, I emailed the company to ask if the frames for the SLOSH's were machined for the large or small rt side shaft bearing. Daiwa manufactured the SLOSH series with a small and large bearing and I have both sizes (I naturally prefer the larger) in my reels.  The response was very "unprofessional" (for lack of a better word) without addressing my question.  Would you happen to know which size bearing the frame is machined for?

Leo

borchcl

Hi Leo,
The reels are back in MN, I head home around the end of the month. When I get back, I'll check the bearing size and let you know, if you haven't got your answer yet. Strange to hear your difficulty in getting a response, they were quite easy to deal with when I ordered, (must have been almost a year ago).
borchcl 

LTM

Hey Borchcl,

Im pretty sure I'll still be servicing my reels (cant believe I finished my jar of Blue grease) and rebuilding some computers.  I'd like to ask it you would take some photo's for us here so we can see some details.  Since Im tearing down all of my reels Im going to create a spread sheet with bearing deminsions.  I take it that metric deminsions is the standard, and I'll know the spec's on my Daiwa's for sure by then. In regards to the reply from the frame guys; I guess they werent all that social that day (cant be all good days).

Take care guys

alantani

i would encourage all of you to take photos.  it's a great help to guys that are just getting started. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LTM

Borchcl,

Thanx for getting back with me and hope your trip was successful.  Anywho, the larger of the two sizes of right side bearings measures 3.45 X 13mm.  Looks like the guys who make the aluminum frames upgraded beyond the factory, which in turn will handle more load (makes sense).  BTW, how's the free-spool on these hybrids?  Please dont forget to post some pictures of these reels, hopefully with some close-ups of the internals.

Thanx again,

Leo