40# ROD TO REPLACE MY CALSTAR BT670-7FT ROD

Started by LTM, March 20, 2012, 10:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

40# ROD TO REPLACE MY CALSTAR BT670-7FT ROD

GUYS, IM LOOKING FOR A 7 FOOT 40# CLASS ROD TO REPLACE MY CURRENT OLD-SCHOOL CALSTAR 670. SOMETHING I CAN USE W/40# TO CAST MED BAIT AND THROW SOME IRON WITH JUST LIKE MY 670 TO TAKE LONG RANGE. ONE IM LOOKING AT IS THE PHENIX BLACK DIAMOND SERIES PSW700H.  I NEED THE ROD TO BE SOMEWHAT FORGIVING FOR IM MUCH OLDER NOW AND LIGHTWEIGHT (GRAFITE COMPOSITE).  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

LEO

SoCalAngler

Calstar Grafighter 700 M or GG 670
Seeker Black Steel 6470 or Super Seeker 6470

It is time to pull on some rods and see what feels right for you. It is good if you can to go to one place and pull on many different rods because for me it is hard to pull on one model at one place then go somewhere else and pull on some other rod and truely get a feel between the two. Good hunting

Edit: BTW there is nothing wrong with just keeping the 670 for that role. It has been a staple on LR boats for many year and for good reason. It is one of the best designed rods to fish 40# on for our left coast style of fishing.

LTM

THANX SOCALANGLER,

IM HERE ON THE LEFT COAST AND I WAS HOPEING THAT SOMEONE FROM THE SOCAL AREA WOULD RESPOND.  DOES CALSTAR MAKE THE GG670, IM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE GG SERIES IF MADE BY CALSTAR.  BTW, IM IN THE GREATER LA AREA AND WONDER DO YOU KNOW A SHOP THAT CARRIES THESE ROD BLANKS (WILLING TO DRIVE F/ORANGE CO. TO SF VALLEY IF NECESSARY).  SO MANY TACKLE SHOPS ARE CLOSING DOWN, ONLY A HANDFULL LEFT (SIGN OF THE TIMES I GUESS).  THANX MUCH FOR THE FEED-BACK.

LEO

Bryan Young

I believe Performance Tackle off Katella and Long Fin is Orange has a good assortment of blanks, but you can also go to Calstar in Gardena.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Thanx Bryan,

Know where Calstar is, and I will checkout the other two in Orange Co.

Bryan Young

No probs Leo.  Hope you find what you want.  Rods are hard to identify for each person.  Each like to have their own action.  I like fast rods for everyhing even though I loose leverage, but I can control the fish better.  Others like slow rods.  So again, good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

I live in Orange County so I do go to the Long Fin from time to time, they have a great selection of factory rods and blanks, the biggest I know of. The GG series by Calstar has been around for like four years or so, I believe they started with jig sticks like the GG 690-J and the GG 90-J and every year they add a few blanks to the line. Check Calstars website they have them on there. The GG's are composites much like the Grafighters but less $$. I may be a bit bias as around 90% of my saltwater rods are Calstar, thats why I gave the Seeker options, this gives you something else to look at. As far as Phoenix, they kind of dropped the ball on their saltwater gear for many years focusing more on freshwater IMO but are trying to gain customers back. Who knows they may rise from the ashes in the saltwater sceen. It sounds like you fish the LR boats and the lion share of rods on them are either Calstar or Seeker, why do you think that is? For many of the LR guys money is not a factor when selecting the best gear and time ane time again they pick these two makers located here in So Cal designing rods for our style of fishing.

As a matter of fact I just picked up a Calstar 270-8 H to fish 25# test on. I'm old school also and I love the feel of glass rods

LTM

Hey SoCal,

Your going to love that 270H-8ft ;D  I've owned mine for decades and is my go-to 20/25# rod and cant seem to fish my newer Graffighters cause the 270H fishes so well.  The 270 series by Calstar is just great fishing 15-25/30# line.  My ittle rod collection is 90% Calstar and some solid Seekers as well and I want to stay open-minded to the possibility of  newer/better gear if it trully exceed's my decades old gear (see my SLOSH HYBRID ALUMINUM FRAME post, I love those little reels).  The Phenix rod mentioned is an example of this and I played with it at a shop several years ago. Hope to do more LR trips in the future and maybe we'll meet, I fish Dana Pt landing as well.  BTW money is definitely a factor with me, however Im willing to spend the extra for quality gear for quality performance, thats why Im looking at the Okuma Andros 5II and the Makaria 10II (that's another topic).  Take care SoCal, your going to like that 270H.

Leo

LTM

Bryan,

Meant to add this to that last thread.  I used to love fast rods when I was younger, however as I've aged I've gravitated to more "forgiving" rods.  You've heard the old joke about the young bull and the older bull overlooking some cows; well Im the older bull that's into "moseying" not "running".  Take care Bryan and all of you.  BTW, I will be taking my 670 with me to compare with others just in case the store doesnt have one in stock for comparison.

Leo

SoCalAngler

Leo I'm one of those who believes in "if it aint broke why fix it". I do mods to my reels to get them to fish in a manner that I like or to improve in something I feel is lacking in their design. My feeling is if those reels caught fish before they should still catch fish now. If I was you, and money is a object to me as well, I'd look at doing minor upgrades to the reels you have listed in the other threads. New carbon drags, replace bearings if needed and maybe a handle or two if you can't stand their feel but that is about it. Save the money your would be spending on those reels and put it towards the new reels you plan on getting. I do understand about getting older and the advantage of the smaller two speed reels will really help with that.

LTM

Thanx SoCal,

My feelings exactly.  Just testing the water's to see if something else may have poped-up that my aging radar may have missed.  Just couldnt afford to pass-up such an opportunity to pose the question to such an knowledgable and actively participating community of folks.

Thanx again,

Leo

SoCalAngler

Let me know if you plan on going to the Long Fin, it is about 20 minutes drive from my house and I may stop by at the same time and check out some gear also.

tcat103

Leo,

I highly suggest the Phenix PSW 700H.  It's a lightweight 40# stick but doesn't sacrifice performance.  It is my go to stick for 40# live bait and due to it's light weight, it is a pleasure to fish during a long soak/pick bite.  I formerly had Calstar/Seeker but the larger diameter coupled with the weight (i'm getting old too), forced me to make the move and I've had no regrets.

Good Luck.
Anytime Baby!

LTM

Man, you guys are the s#%*t!!! ;D 

SoCal, believe me I'll give you a holler before I go to Long Fin, probably be in a couple of weeks from now (if your still interested then)!

To the other Gent (new and dont see your name while writing this thread) who commented on this thread; thanx for your comments on the Phenix rod.  The weight of the rod and the way it bends is what got my interest too, plus the personal testimony from my friends at the tackle store.

As said in Jermiah the old TV show:  "Cheer leaders for everybody" ::)

Leo

tcat103

Leo,

Thanks.  I'm biased as I'm on Pro-staff with Phenix rods.  ;)

Good luck with your search and let me know if you have any questions.

Ben

Anytime Baby!