454 F/ Tib frame

Started by BMITCH, March 27, 2012, 09:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Just got in my new narrow 454-F frame and spool. This looks like it will be an awesome jigging reel? The only drawback would be possibly the max drag. This only has thensame washers that a Penn 500 series has in it. Is there any way to increase the drag stack and or the max drag???
luck is the residue of design.

Norcal Pescador

Jigmasters use the 6-309 CF washers. IF your main gear has enough depth, you MAY be able to use all Carbontex #21 washers 0.5mm thick with two more metal washers. That's what I did with my Jigmaster along with Smoothdrag metal washers. If the reel gods are looking upon you with favor, Dawn may have metal washers for the 400 Newells.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

Thanks. I'll give dawn a shout to see if the washers are available.

Norcal Pescador

Bob -
Forgive me if you've been through this drill before.
Measure the depth of your washer well, then add up the thickness of the metal and CF washers. If the top CF and metal washers won't fit inside the washer well then the only issue is if the bridge assembly will fit in/on the sideplate without modification. It won't hurt for the top metal and CF washer are a bit above the gear.
Hope this was helpful.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

No I didn't think to measure the depth. That's exactly why I get on this site. Helps to reduce the learning curve with info from people like you that have been there and done that. That will be the project for this upcoming weekend. Thanks for the input.

Bob