Acid wrap rod

Started by BMITCH, March 27, 2012, 11:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Just got my first spiral wrapped rod today. Kinda interesting lay out. Was wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with this style. I'm not sure about trying to cast a jig with it. Seems this Tyler would cut down on casting distance for iron. Any feed back would be great!
luck is the residue of design.

Clem

Hi...

I have a few, all my jig rods are setup that way -

I also have a light soft bait rod (6'6" - 6-8kg) that is also spiral wrapped - I have a Daiwa Luna 253 on it and it casts really well

Keta

I used one last year to land a nice roosterfish and now I have one of my own.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mr t

I have been doing spiral wraps for all the rods I've built in the last 5 years. I'm a big fan, esp. on the heavier sticks for sturgeon and rockfishing. Still wonder why most builders don't make more of them. 

BMITCH

I completely understand the concept of the guide placement when under pressure from a fish. My thought is that with the guides wrapped around the blank like that, it's gotta cut down on casting distance. I would think you would get a bit of line slap on the blank, no??
luck is the residue of design.

hafnor

I believe the spiral wrapped configuration is made for trolling and jigging, and non casting baitfishing. casting with a spiral rod will not work well! Atleast I didnĀ“t get it to work!

elnath

Quote from: BMITCH on March 27, 2012, 11:01:41 AM
Just got my first spiral wrapped rod today. Kinda interesting lay out. Was wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with this style. I'm not sure about trying to cast a jig with it. Seems this Tyler would cut down on casting distance for iron. Any feed back would be great!

If the rod is built correctly there should be a negligible amount of lateral friction on the line as it flows through the guides (it's more critical to place the guides correctly to lead the line 180 degrees around the rod than on a conventional wrap).  All of my custom rods are acid wrapped and they cast as well as conventionals.  I've been using them constantly for both bottom fish jigging which requires good casting distance and tuna jigging which in NE isn't a long cast sport--but I appreciate the acid wrap when fighting a big fish.

TwistedCustomRods

This is the correct response.  Ive probably built over 100 acid rods and casting distance is reduced by about 5%.  Thats only a 7'6" reduction on a 50 yard cast.  Negligable imo.
Need a new rod? Why not get a custom rod made for where you fish, how you fish, all the while fitting your personal style!?  http://www.twistedcustomrods.com

elnath

The other benefit is you get to watch with amusement as deckhands try to straighten out the rod since obviously you where too stupid to put your two piece rod together properly--I'll my rods are one piece blanks, so they eventually get it with a duh moment that is priceless  ;D

Sun Tzu

Quote from: elnath on June 14, 2012, 10:26:04 AM
The other benefit is you get to watch with amusement as deckhands try to straighten out the rod since obviously you where too stupid to put your two piece rod together properly--I'll my rods are one piece blanks, so they eventually get it with a duh moment that is priceless  ;D

x2. I love when other anglers stare at the rod in confusion. Both my wife and I fish acid wrapped rod exclusivly and I can tell you, at least 3 times per trip we have to explain the concept. The only down side to the acid wrapped is strapping multiple rods together before and after a trip.