Question on Tiburon Frame Conversion

Started by Ratchet, March 28, 2012, 05:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratchet

For those that have added a Tiburon frame to their Newell reel, it appears that you will have to disassemble your Newell frame to salvage the pair of inner stainless steel sldeplate rings to complete the installation.  Is this true?

Thanks,

garrick

I am busy with an upgrde to a narrow 533S using the Tib components.  At least 3 issues:

-

BMITCH

You will need the inner rings. I just recently did the Tib spool and narrow frame update to a 454-F. Ran into a couple issues there also. The clicker was rubbing so I just removed the whole button and click ####'y. Then siliconed the hole. I figured this was only going to be used for jigging anyway so the clicker was not going to be used.
luck is the residue of design.

conchydong

Quote from: Ratchet on March 28, 2012, 05:51:23 AM
For those that have added a Tiburon frame to their Newell reel, it appears that you will have to disassemble your Newell frame to salvage the pair of inner stainless steel sldeplate rings to complete the installation.  Is this true?

Thanks,

Yes, you will need the inner rings but not the screws that the inner ring uses to bolt to the Newell frame. The outer ring screws will pass through both the inner and outer rings into the Tib. frame.

garrick

as I was saying before I hit the tab button.... I am doing the Newell 533S to narrow conversion 

the first issue is that you will need 4 1/8" screws on each side to do the whole thing up.  The Newell has threaded tubes, not screws.  Fortunately the top-bar screws are usable and an example each of the left and right hand screw lengths (they are different).

second issue is that you will have to completely undo the frame to get the rings you need.  Depending on how meticulous your care has been, you may find this hard to do. 

third issue is a potential issue at this point.  There seems to be a good deal of play in the spool from side to side and you cannot take this up in the left plate screw.  I expect I will have to shim the RHS, but that is a task I've left for this weekend. 

BMITCH

I didn't run into the problem with end play on the spool with the 454-F. I did have the same issues with the scows though. What I did was grind down the screws that were to long until the were not extending past the frame. This seem to work well.
luck is the residue of design.

Ratchet

Everyone, thanks for your replies.  I was hoping to keep my original Newell frame intact, but that is not the case.

bschulzjr

I just converted my reel and found a little play in the spool.  What was a shocker to me, and anyone else who purchased this to use on an Ulua, it will not fit!  The bottom of the frame has two bumpers that are supposed to surround the rod, but it will not fit an ulua, 100J, or 540.  Anything with a fat butt section will not work.  The bumpers have screws that can be removed, leaving you with only the reel seat and no way to clamp the reel.  I tried to use the Tirburon XL frame clamp but the clamp itself is not long enough to fit around the reel seat of the frame.  I think I'm going to shim the Tiburon clamp and use longer screws to make it fit.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ratchet

Bschulzjr-What size reel seat are you using on your Seeker "ulua" jigging rod?  Something like a Fuji graphite in 30mm?

bschulzjr

Ratchet, I am not using a reel seat.  I use this deckhand style for tossing large iron for Yellows.  The rod butt is wrapped in sein cord.

Ratchet

I was going to say that if you had a regular reel seat on you rod, you could forgo the clamp.  Not so if you have a deckhand special.

I normally use the rod clamp on my Newells but have to go with the largest speed clamp (SC-40?) to get it to fit the 32mm Fuji FPS32 reel seat on my old Fenwick SU1688F.  Since you are already having trouble getting the Tiburon frame mounted on you jigging rod, there is no way I'm going to get it to fit on my old Fenwicks.  Thanks Bschulzjr, for the heads up.

redsetta

This 'deckhand-style' set up is new to me.
Is it mainly about being able to move the reel around to find the best balance point for casting?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

AJ

balance and lower weight.  Throwing iron the lo-cal so-cal way Lighter means more cast.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

conchydong

Plus cheaper to build. Hence the name "Deckhand Special".