A Penn Senator 9/0 joins the double dogs family

Started by Alto Mare, March 30, 2012, 02:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day all,
I forgot to load these a while ago - just a couple of double-dog pics for my Penn 10/0 and 112H.
Unlike any other Penn I've done this to, the dogs on the 10/0 are slightly alternating, producing a distinct double click.
I'm planning to fish this on a long-range trip to the Three Kings early next year, so the extra dog should give it a little more grunt.

These days, I shape the leaf springs from brass sheets - here's the homespun version (left) relative to the original.

With the 112H, I found there wasn't enough bulk on the side plate to fit the spring, so I had to Dremel all the way out and make a brass shroud to cover the spring.

It slides under the bridge plate and fastens down securely.

Righto - all the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Nice work,Justin,very innovative.  I like the custom spring. ;D  They can be cut from old flat ss razor blades too.

Alto Mare

Very nice Job Justin ;). I've done the double dogs from the 113H to the 116, but didn't get to the 112H yet. I'm glad that you did, now I know what to look for. I just want to add for the guys that it is much easier to install the double dogs on larger reels. From the 114h to the 116, it's a piece of cake. Great idea on cutting your own dog springs, I need to give that a try. Guys, here are a couple of additional pictures to show what Justin was talking about on the alternating dogs. I like them that way, but if you wish to make them engage at the same time, all you do is shave a little off the tip of one of the dogs.
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

el greco

You guys never fail to amaze me  love your work cheers

George4741

Great idea on the 112H Justin.  You guys never cease to impress me. 

viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

Hey Justin,
    Man, you and Sal have taken this to a whole new level.  I'm loving the idea of the brass shroud...can you show us in a little more detail exactly how you did it. 
Nice job,
Dom

redsetta

Great photos Sal - thanks for adding those.
The second shot is a cracker - pin-sharp focus.
Dom, the shroud was pretty straight forward, but I'll take some more shots in a few days - working today/tomorrow, fishing Coromandel/Great Barrier Island on Wed, birthday Thurs, then chasing kingies at the Poor Knights Islands from Fri-Sun (hooray!). ;) ;D
Cheers lads, Justin

john2244

Great work guys.  Also, nice to have the photos.
John

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

I gotta hang out with you on your birthday week... that's when all the fishing happens ;D
Have a happy birthday and may the fish gods reward you famously!
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on May 20, 2012, 09:47:31 PM
another sticky for sal!
and Justin.
Thanks Alan!

Happy birthday Justin, I hope you have a great day on the water.
My birthday is coming soon also, but I doubt that i get to go on the water, I've been very busy lately. :(
Later. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

alto & redsetta
this is not a criticism but why have 2 dogs if they work independitly of each other?
just a safety measure?
would it not be better to have that drone working?
magic stuff,cheers

redsetta

G'day Wallace,
You're right that it'd be a stronger 'lock' when both engage at the same time - which is what I was expecting, as per the 113H, 112H etc.
However, alternating dogs can be a good thing too as they reduce the lag between when ratchet teeth engage.
That's effectively what I was trying to reduce with the 12-tooth gear on the 9500SS.
The single dog on the 10/0 is already pretty hefty, so doubling up really just achieves more confidence (ie a safety measure), while the slight alternation means reduced lag.
Mainly though, I just really enjoyed the process...  ;) ;D
Cheers mate, Justin

wallacewt

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on May 21, 2012, 12:25:54 AM
alto & redsetta
this is not a criticism but why have 2 dogs if they work independitly of each other?
just a safety measure?
would it not be better to have that drone working?
magic stuff,cheers
Wallace, you've asked this same question before.
The bottom line is that now you have two dogs instead of one. Alternating, or locking at the same time,  they're both a very good thing. I like them to alternate on this particular reel.
Later buddy....stay dry  ;).