525 Mag Handle Upgrade

Started by SoCalAngler, April 06, 2012, 03:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Here are some pictures of my latest upgrade.

I was not all that happy with the handle on my 525 Mag so I decided to make a change. Here is a pic of the 525 before the change.

Here is the stock handle side by side the new handle.

Here are a couple of pictures after the change out.

The handle is a direct swap out, you use the stock nut cap and nut cap screw.

The new handle knob feels much larger than the stock and if you have big hands it may be something you may want to look at. Did I really need to do the swap for catching bass, barracuda and bonita here on the west coast? No, but more and more I find myself using lighter line after catching a couple of school sized tuna, to the dismay of some deck hands and boats that want to keep their catch rates high and that's why I went for the change. Also, for the last couple of years the tuna locally have been line shy so lighter line has been the norm. I feel this handle will work better for me while fighting larger fish on light line. The handle did not add any noticeable weight increase over the stock but the knob does feel a little big to me. I wish Penn would of had something in between the stock knob and the replacement though I'm sure I will get use to it. It just may feel a bit funny because it is something new.

SoCalAngler

Here is another picture giving you a better handle knob to reel size comparison view.

Norcal Pescador

Looks nice! After you've brought in a few big-uns, I bet you'll like the larger size.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

ElFred

What handle did you use for the upgrade?

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ShoreKasterHI

skrilla

Cool thanks for posting this. I had just posted this question up on another board. Would this be off the Squall LD or Fathom Star drag handle, or are they pretty much the same?

SoCalAngler

It's the same as a Fathom handle but it is the Torque handle. The Fathom won't work because it has a square hole on the handle arm, you need the rectangular hole the Torque offers. Penn part number 1229501

intili

This will work on al GS series reels! Including the 555

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

will it fit the squall 15? thanks!

Wael

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Mel B on February 05, 2013, 02:26:15 PM
will it fit the squall 15? thanks!

Yes it will fit a Squall. The Squall 15 is mostly a 525 with a new frame, sideplates amd mag controll.

Newell Nut

That is really nice looking handle and looks well made. That would be great arthritic fingers.

fishtaco

Cool
I  think I'll get me one too
Have a great day

borchcl

I put one of those handles on the 535 my wife uses for red snapper. The original 6:1 gears were rather loud, so I put in a set of the "slower" gears, don't remember the ratio, but feel it should help her as she has some hand injuries.