tld 15

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Perhaps the question that no one seems to address as much, is:

How much free spool do I really need for real world fishing conditions?

If a client wants to be impressed by a reel they are considering purchasing -- they spin the spool to see how much free spool it has.  While that is a good indicator of a clean reel inside (whether used or new) -- unless casting for competition -- it has very little value in real fishing conditions.

If I have 4 or 6 ounces of lead on my reel -- it is going down to my desired depth very quickly with or without grease -- and with or without oil.

Proper MARINE (salt water resistant) grease is essential to maintain your reels for years to come.

There are of course exceptions -- and others will chime in here with their good opinions -- about how Newells cast, Shimanos cast, Penns, and all the rest -- but for 90% of most anglers fishing, protection, and performance of their reels in the salt -- good grease along with knowledge of how your equipment operates -- is key.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jamie D

Quote from: RowdyW on July 01, 2016, 04:26:19 PM
Oiling bearings instead of greasing to increase free spool is an old topic. It's been done for years. Try TSI 321 oil for your bearings. Nothing else has been found so far for the best free spool.
Thanks brother and apologies if it's a covered topic , still wanted a thought from out in the universe :)

Rancanfish

Fred, as usual you nailed it exactly.

Jamie D,  no apologies needed.  I'm sure he was just being helpful stating it's been a topic of discussion.  We like getting new faces here.  Your thoughts and questions are welcome.

I'm still asking Fred something once a week at least.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Jamie D

Little video I made as a fan of the Tld , this is my spin on how I do a service

Donnyboat

Hi every one, hope your all keeping well, & leaving some fish in the ocean for me, My question is, just breaking down a TLD 15 for the first time, I am having trouble getting the spool shaft to slide out of the face plate, not game to place any real force on it, incase I do some damage, any secrets, thanks in advance, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

Don, it sounds like the spool shaft is corroded in the outer bearing. Try getting some penetrating oil in there & holding the spool while pulling & rocking the plate from side to side.      Rudy

Donnyboat

Yes thanks Rudy, I managed to get it, you are right again, the pinion & bearing were fixed to the spool shaft, I had to work the main gear out, all @ once, managed to place some auto transmission fluid & acetone 50/50 in from the outside & the inside, just for other people that come across this, the main gear has to come out, to get the bearing out, I washed the acetone of as soon as I could, just in case it done any harm to the face plate, or any plastic @ the end of the spool, Thanks all the same Rudy, for your fast reply, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

Don, just don't try to remove the little clip that holds the dog spring on. The top of that post breaks off easily & then you have to replace the plate.  :o

Donnyboat

Thanks Rudy, I wasn't aware of that, good point, I did take a good look @ it, only cleaned it & lubed, thank again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Okay I have my 15, back together, stripped it right down, completed all the magic, you recommended, Rudy, it is running a treat, once again Rudy, thanks for your help, & fast replies, cheers Don., also serviced a Diawa 250 today, it runs well, my first time for both of these reels.
Don, or donnyboat

sermak

Hi all! I've got several TLD 15 and TLD 20 reels that have served me well over the years. They've been used only on our annual vacations to the Florida Keys so they are in great shape. recently bought a Florida condo and will now be here for 6 months out of the year so I want to update a few of the TLD 15s with the carbon drag washer. I've got 2 carbontex washers and drag grease on order.

2 questions:

When I upgrade the drag washer must I also upgrade to the belleville bearings?

Is the drag washer grease applied to both sides of the washer or just the inside of the washer?

Thanks for your help.

Bryan Young

If your drag range is satisfactory then you don't need to change your Belleville washers.

Regarding greasing one side or both sides, I would grease both sides. It will protect your spool and washer from salt intrusion.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sermak

Thanks for your reply Bryan. Just a follow up question....

You mentioned drag range. Do you mean that the bellevilles will let me set a higher drag range but still have freespool? Right now with the factory felt drag washer if I use my preset (with lever in freespool) to set the drag relatively high at the strike position, I notice that there is some tension on the spool when reeling. Would the bellevilles correct this? 

conchydong

Quote from: sermak on February 01, 2018, 02:15:01 PM
Thanks for your reply Bryan. Just a follow up question....

You mentioned drag range. Do you mean that the bellevilles will let me set a higher drag range but still have freespool? Right now with the factory felt drag washer if I use my preset (with lever in freespool) to set the drag relatively high at the strike position, I notice that there is some tension on the spool when reeling. Would the bellevilles correct this? 

How much drag are you looking for? A TLD 15 is really a 30lb class reel and IMO, 12 lb.s at strike is plenty for this reel. Anymore and you are looking at trouble down the road. If you have resistance already, than your pinion bearing is probably toast from too much drag. More common in Avets but all levers have this problem.

Bryan Young

The Belleville's will change the ramp rate from free to full. If the reel has a slower ramp rate you may not achieve the upper drag limit you are seeking.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D