Everol Waterproof 6/12 Tutorial

Started by reelgood, April 19, 2012, 05:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelgood

This one is quick and dirty and covers just the basics, didn't address every individual bearing but the pictures should give a good account hopefully.  There are 2 spool bearings, also a bearing in each side plate at ends of the spool shaft, not sure if there is one where the drive shaft enters or maybe another bronze bushing.  Putting it back together is also left to the imagination  ;D  Very solidly built reel though a little bit homely looking.  Weight is around 600 grams I'll update exactly when I get home. Easily puts out over 20# of drag, I think I can get it over 25# +.  I don't know if it's really waterproof, but I won't be swimming with it.

3 Allen screws and the left sideplate pops off.  You can see the twin-dog anti-reverse.  It is LOUD, especially for this small reel, probably due to the small diameter and small number of teeth on the A/R toothed gear.  The parts are also very "chunky" and durable looking.  You can see the machining marks on the sideplate.  The frames for these reels were made by Tiburon according to the Everol website.  There is not much backplay in the handle for a reel with no A/R bearing, as both dogs seem to engage at once

The A/R toothed gear is mounted on the keyed spool shaft above the drag plate, very simple design

Spool pops out and you can see the drag, plate, and the the 2 Bellevilles on the shaft ( )

Pinion is also machined into the spool shaft

Drag, came dry, also the carbon fiber and backing was unglued from another screw in backing plate.  I glued them down with some epoxy. The entire thing is on a metal disk screwed into the spool, but the screws are at least a good size unlike other similar configurations I've seen

Clicker wheel screwed to right side of spool, removed and greased

Clicker mechanism – the lever and the shaft in retracted and extended positions

Removing frame from right sideplate another 3 allen screws, the circlips you see hold the 2 drag lever stops

Remove handle and "gearbox", could not remove main gear/shaft as I can't find my snap ring pliers and didn't want to do any damage with caveman tools

Underside of "gearbox" showing clicker shaft that pushes against wheel when engaged.  Also, you can see a bronze? bushing where the handle goes through, no bearing here means no corrosion issues I guess.

Drag lever and cam removed, the spring loaded stops for the drag lever are visible

Drag adjustment removal, you can see the centering pins for the cam on each side of the shaft the adjuster screws to

Remove and grease under reel foot

Everything more or less, about 65 parts. Two Allen wrenches and the wrench comes with the reel

redsetta

Nice one reelgood - looks like a solid little reel.
Like the machining too.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Wow, what a tank.  Very interesting design for sure.

Man, those carbon weave is unreal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Nice tutorial.  What size is this reel?  I could not tell the quarter kept getting in the way. ;D.  Justin of course you liked the machining, it was made in Italy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelgood

Quote from: Pescachaser on April 20, 2012, 07:37:53 PM
Nice tutorial.  What size is this reel?  I could not tell the quarter kept getting in the way. ;D.  Justin of course you liked the machining, it was made in Italy.  Dominick

Realized I never got a good photo of the reel together, so here's some next to a CS551. 

Other info:

gear ratio: 4.5:1
handle/knob: arm is 3" pin to pin and black handle is also 3" long
weight: 692 g

Robert Janssen

Quote from: reelgood on April 19, 2012, 05:04:45 PMEasily puts out over 20# of drag, I think I can get it over 25# +.  I don't know if it's really waterproof, but I won't be swimming with it....The frames for these reels were made by Tiburon according to the Everol website.  

Actually, no-- The frames are all made in-house, at Everol in Italy.  In early 2002 / late 2001, Tiburon was consigned to manufacture a short run of fifty frames for the Everol 12-20 model. These frames have a big Tiburon logo across the front.

Waterproof? No, of course not. The term is somewhat of a misnomer, referring to the drag materials performance being largely unaffected if it became wet, as opposed to older types of friction material. The reels are nowadays often referred to as the WP Series, lest some poor soul mistakenly actually believe the whole thing be waterproof, which it obviously isn't.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

hey Justin:  That 1939 Washington quarter is worth $5.00 to $15.00.  :-X It looks in good condition.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Well spotted Dominick, but that's Reelgood's work (and quarter). ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

oops.  I must be getting old.   ;D

reelgood

Quote from: Pescachaser on June 05, 2012, 12:21:24 AM
oops.  I must be getting old.   ;D

maybe even older, believe that is a 1989 :)  wish you told me sooner, i think it's in a coke machine now so we'll never know