641-3

Started by tacoma09, April 23, 2012, 02:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma09

I was wondering if I can swap out the low gears to a higher one. Does penn have similar gear sizes as the penn?

Ratchet

For your first question, you can swap out both the main and pinion gear as a set and go back and forth from 3:1 to 4.2:1.  The disappointment comes when there is an increase in gear noise because of the slight mismatch in the gear teeth due to the variation in machining tolerances from batch to batch.  It doesn't happen all the time but is still a big disappointment when it does.

I'm not sure what you are asking for your second question.  I think you are asking if any Penn gears can be used in the Newell 641.  For this the answer is "no".  With a slight do-it-yourself modification to the Newell bridge sleeve in 200, 300, and 400-series reels, you can use the gears from the Penn 500 Jighmaster but there is no Penn equivalent for the 500 or 600-series Newell reels.

franky

One other thing...

If you change out your gears from the lower gear ratio to the higher gear ratio or visa versa, you will also need to change your bearings.  The pinion for the lower gear ratio reels have a bigger inside diameter to accomodate the fatter spool spindle.  As a result, you inside diameter for your bearings have to be bigger as well. 

The faster gear ratio pinion has a smaller inside diameter that in turn will need a bearing with a smaller inside diameter.   ;)

Ratchet

Quote from: franky on April 25, 2012, 07:38:12 PM
One other thing...

If you change out your gears from the lower gear ratio to the higher gear ratio or visa versa, you will also need to change your bearings.  The pinion for the lower gear ratio reels have a bigger inside diameter to accomodate the fatter spool spindle.  As a result, you inside diameter for your bearings have to be bigger as well. 

The faster gear ratio pinion has a smaller inside diameter that in turn will need a bearing with a smaller inside diameter.   ;)

The Newell 600-series use the same size ball-bearings for either gear ratios.  What Franky is referring to only applies to the Newell 500-series with the 3.2:1 gears and these reels uses the same size bearings as does the 600-series.  For some odd reason, Carl Newell decided that the 540, 546, and 550 in 3.2:1 needed a thicker spindle but not for reels with the 4.6:1 and 5.5:1 ratios.   

tacoma09

Thanks guys.  I guess i'm out of luck in getting some higher ratio gears.  That's okay, i'll work with it. I got it from ebay for $100 ;D

franky

Quote from: Ratchet on April 26, 2012, 01:51:14 PM
Quote from: franky on April 25, 2012, 07:38:12 PM

The Newell 600-series use the same size ball-bearings for either gear ratios.  What Franky is referring to only applies to the Newell 500-series with the 3.2:1 gears and these reels uses the same size bearings as does the 600-series.  For some odd reason, Carl Newell decided that the 540, 546, and 550 in 3.2:1 needed a thicker spindle but not for reels with the 4.6:1 and 5.5:1 ratios.  

Oh, sorry, I forgot to look at the title of the topic.  :P  Yes the 600 series is the same regardless of gear ratios.  Tacoma, 100 on ebay!  Thats a deal.  ;D

tacoma09

thanks Franky. That is a steal.