Newell 229-5

Started by shootera3, April 27, 2012, 12:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootera3

I just picked up a Newell, some questions. I can not adjust spool side play, maybe a missing part, it only has the black cap, nothing else inside. How doI lube drive side bearing with out taking apart, it appears there is no cap, the plastic is molded solid. Where can I get base of rod holder and screws. Any  help appreciated. Steve

franky

Sorry Steve, there is no way around the newells with the fixed molded black cap.  Unfortunately, you have to take apart the reel to get to the drive shaft (handle side) bearing.  Give it a try, you got lots of support on this board.  It is really not that difficult, especially if you are following the tutorial that Alan provides.  Go slow and keep things in order.  While you are at it, you will be able to check out the other parts in your reel to see if it needs some TLC.

Finding a reel base and screws are going to be the "REAL" challenge.  Maybe someone on this site might be able to accomodate you, ebay, or craigslist in your area might be of help in your search.