AMBASSADEUR 6000/5000 part needed

Started by nelz, April 28, 2012, 05:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I recently found a beautiful 6000 in fantastic condition but it needed a serious cleaning and tuning. Then, while carefully bending the pinion yoke trying to tweek it for smoother cranking, one of its legs broke off. Lesson learned, the metal used for it is very brittle!

Anyone have an old brake plate and mechanism or parts laying around? Mine's a 6000, but I'm pretty sure the part from a 5000 will work too.

AMBASSADEUR 6000
The assembly is covered by P/N 5101
Or, pinion yoke alone P/N 5118

I just got this reel and now it's a beautiful paper-weight.

Thanks

Ken_D

Any repair shop dealing with the older Abus would just as soon supply a whole brake plate, complete,
because it's a total pain in the 6 to change out the yoke.  The brake plate is about 21.00 and adds to buy new, and the pinion yoke is about 1.22, and a ~very~ long time to install. 5101 NLA (no longer available) crosses to
8994, which is a good number still. The anodizing colour may be different than yours. It may be red or black, or the same aluminum colour as the 5101.

nelz

Ok, Abu Garcia has the yoke, which I went ahead and ordered. Wish me luck in swapping that out!  :o

On another note, I wish Shimano carried older parts too. They don't even want to hear about my Bantam 400.  >:(

Thats for sure. I will never by Shimano again because of that.  But thats good news because that got me loyal to the classic Ambassadeur round reels.

nelz

Abu Garcia sent me the part, it appears to be an original stock part, wow, just what I needed (they call it a "clutch" now). I'm impressed that they still carry parts for such old reels. Anyway, installing it was not as bad as I'd been led to believe. I did a few practice runs with the broken part and then went on to fix my reel. She's a beauty, can't wait to try it out.

So my 6000 still has all original parts, even the drag. After soaking the old disks in mineral spirits a few hours, they work quite well, smooth and strong. It's going to be interesting fishing with a 3 point something to 1 gear ratio though, ::) I think it's  3.5:1 ?

Kudos to Abu Garcia!