Grease viscosity

Started by kenwahoo, May 06, 2012, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenwahoo

Now, whether your reels are spinners or casting there's some ball bearings in there that prefer oil to grease. For those bearings that get greased, how they perform depend on the viscosity of the grease. Using a heavy grease means harder work to get the reel going. For instance, I once used Cal's grease on my spinner's spool bearing but found it heavy to wind. Washing it out and using a proprietary reel grease made the bearing work better for me. It all had to do with the viscosity which there's little discussion and facts on. We all know that Alan prefers Yamaha marine grease but it's not the only one around and can be hard to get depending on which part of the world you're at. I can get Inox grease, Protecta grease as well. I'm sure all the outboard manufacturers and trailer bearing suppliers have their own brand of grease. My question is whether anyone knows of the viscosity of other marine greases? Btw Yamaha marine grease has viscosity index of 70, whatever that means.

Dominick

Ken:  Go to the home page.  In the search box in the upper right, type in the word viscosity.  You will see plenty of discussion of viscosity and the various ways some members cope with it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ez2cdave

Tight Lines !