Drag Washer Thickness?

Started by suitekids, May 07, 2012, 12:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suitekids

Just wondering if it really matters, I pulled the drag out and was cleaning it all up on a 113h when I noticed one of the square holed metal washers was almost twice as thick as the other 4, and it was the second one installed in the order. I also noticed that the last eared metal washer was at the top of the gear, it seemed rather high, after I cleaned it up, I put that thick washer at the end of the stack which let the last eared washer drop down in the main gear more, this was a used reel and there are some issues I have fixed thus far with the help of some kind folks here, I havn't put it all together yet but the drag seems to be working ok, as a mock up on the bridge and sleeve. I guess the chap was on to something but had the wrong order of things, am I looking at this right? From what I have learned here it is kinda simple if you use some common sense, all 5 of the carbon fibre washers were identical and appeared new, the metal washers were 4 of them 10mm thick and one 17mm thick.

Dominick

Yes it matters if the eared washer does not sit in the slots made for it in the main gear.  So changing it to the to was the right thing to do.  the sequence is all over this site, but here it is.  Drag-keyed washer-drag-eared washer-drag-keyed washer-drag-eared washer-drag-keyed washer- (depending on which one you have) either a spacing sleeve or a cap).  See page 15 of Sal's Penn 113H Tank post http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.0 Sal has a great picture of the two 113H plates and how they go together.  Sal is the go to guy for these kinds of questions.  Good luck.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

suitekids

he had it in the right sequence as well as I do too, I just elected to put the thicker square holed washer at the top, which as I wrote dropped the stack down inside the gear 7mm, the order was always good, just a thick washer got in the stack somehow, I would think that the last square holed washer can be at the top of the heap and now it shouldn't matter how thick, but was checking to be sure, obviously the reel has been bastardized to sell it on ebay, but it will be right before it hits the gulfstream in a couple weeks.

George4741

It sounds like you reassembled the drag stack the way most of us do.  I'm sure we all want the last eared washer sitting a low as possible in the main gear.  The 6-113HSP drag washer kit I received from Penn Parts included 1 thick keyed and 3 thin keyed washers (the ones you call square-holed).  Interestingly enough, in the Penn Parts notes it says that the thick keyed washer goes in the middle of the stack, but I placed the thick one on the drag stack last.  On some of my other reels, depending on how much excessive space is on the gear sleeve, I will place a thin, thick, or one of each on top of the drag stack before I install the pressure plate and star.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

suitekids

thanks George, it does seem as though he had the order right, it sure looked like the last eared washer was barely catching the slot in the gear, didn't seem right or something was hodgepodged together, I did search around out side of here and did find the metal washer order with exactly what you said about the thick one in the middle. Obviousy when it's greased up and is able to stay in better alignment, without preload it will stay and compress enough to get that last dogeard washer in the slot permanently. This is the quote from the back of the ht100 package instructions:

Limited Quantities AvailableBackordered Item - Still in StockThese are on factory back-order with no due date from Penn.
Fits Reels:
113H
113HSP
113HL
113HLW

Kit Contains: (5) 6-113H HT-100® FIBER WASHERS
(1) 86-113H THICK KEYED ROUND METAL WASHER
(2) 86-970 THIN KEYED ROUND METAL WASHERS
(2) 7-970 THIN EARED METAL WASHERS
Arrangement of the drag stack is as shown in the photo. The thicker round metal washer goes in the center of the stack. Start with the fiber washer going into the main gear first and top off the stack with a metal washer.

Keta

I always put the thick keyed washer on top to reduce bending of the washers in the drag stack when using higher drag pressure.  I haven't figured out why the eared and keyed washers are different thicknesses but the washers I've been making for 349Hs are all the same thickness with the exception of the top one and they work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: suitekids on May 07, 2012, 01:40:22 AM
I just elected to put the thicker square holed washer at the top....

that is correct!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

QuoteI always put the thick keyed washer on top to reduce bending of the washers in the drag stack when using higher drag pressure.
x2
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on May 11, 2012, 12:49:14 AM
QuoteI always put the thick keyed washer on top to reduce bending of the washers in the drag stack when using higher drag pressure.
x2
x3
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.