Chipped bearing cap removal for newell s533 and bearing noise?

Started by obtunaman, May 08, 2012, 07:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obtunaman

What's the easiest way to remove the left bearing cap that is chipped that can't use wide blade screwdriver to remove without damaging the side plate? Heat or cold with easy out and drill? I bought this at swap meet and also has gear grinding noise when turn on its side. Could this also be bad bearings?

alantani

for the grinding noise, check the bearings for corrosion and check the gear teeth for the slightest amount of wear.  know also that stainless steel newell gears are notoriously noisy, even when brand new.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

Sounds like you have a plastic bearing cap. Just remove the entire side plate [3 screws] & servive from the inside.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Jim

Quote from: alantani on May 10, 2012, 03:53:16 AM
for the grinding noise, check the bearings for corrosion and check the gear teeth for the slightest amount of wear.  know also that stainless steel newell gears are notoriously noisy, even when brand new.   :-\

I had the pleasure and honor to meet Carl once, some years back. Talking wahoo with Carl was awesome, no, it was better than that!
He believed the grinding of his straight cut gears actually acted as an attractant for wahoo. That was and still is, good enough for me.