drag setings and knots

Started by broschro, May 10, 2012, 07:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Quote from: Normslanding on May 11, 2012, 11:38:12 AM
Hi, I will try to base this on your original statement.
Spectra to mono, or Fluorocarbon knot strength is usually in the 74% range. So if you go up one size in you Spectra 40 mono with 50 Spectra , this approaches the rated mono, or Fluoro strength. The knots in Spectra are the weak link. That is not a bad but a simplistic solution.
There are many variables, hollow or solid Spectra, type of connection, ability of the person making the connection. Notice I did not use the word KNOT.
There are several connection methods in Hollow Spectra that produce a 100% connection of the actual breaking strength of the weakest material. Also was mentioned was heavier mono/Fluoro attached to Spectra might be tried. This is usually used as a leader application, and is best used for toothy critters, or abrasion. As you tie a hook/lure on the heavier mono the weak link is the Spectra connection. There is always a weak link. There are several great knots to tie hooks, etc. on mono/ Fluoro the one the wins contests is the one tied on the best piece of mono.
So I ask guys do you want a 100% knot at the hook? If so do you care if you loose 20,30,40 bucks of Fluorcarbon, or a two dollar hook.
Back to your frustration, Assuming you are using solid Spectra go up one size in Spectra Tie a double Uni with about 4 turns in the mono, and 8 in the Spectra. If that gives you a problem going thru the guides learn to tie a 16 turn Albright. A lift time and a very large book can be written on the subject.
Hope this rambling helps.
Thanks 4 all the info, I'm having a problem with the leader braking above the hook.

Bryan Young

If your leader is breaking above the hook, it's possible that your leader is getting burned (term) when thightening your knots.  Make sure that your knots are lubricated, cinched down to the hook, before tightening.  Water and saliva is sufficient, but a slipery lubercant is best.  I was just thinking I should use something like fish oil, but then again...  I heard one of my friends uses a drop of corrosion X on the know as he slides and tightens down, but I don't know if he uses it on his hooks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

lube for knots
i use halco catch scent,its a grease for folks that dont know
braid and mono slide very easily without burning.
contains real fish pheremones,attracts fish,masks human scent
blah,blah blah!
broschro,might be as simple as changing your leader ::)

broschro

Quote from: wallacewt on May 16, 2012, 06:00:43 AM
lube for knots
i use halco catch scent,its a grease for folks that dont know
braid and mono slide very easily without burning.
contains real fish pheremones,attracts fish,masks human scent
blah,blah blah!
broschro,might be as simple as changing your leader ::)
Was looking at some of my leaders and did notice some abrasion from knot tying, :( I do lube em up good before tightening; I need to pay more attention. I will go up in leader size on my bigger live baits and see if that helps.im waiting on a day the ocean will cooperate with the days I have to get back out there to test my new knots and leaders. Will post results when done.

Squirmypug

After making some leaders be sure to check them. For light leaders-up to about 60lb I lift 75-85% of the listed breaking strength and check with a scale. When testing heavy leaders I attatch the leader to my mainline and pull 50% of my mainlines breaking strength, if it doesn't break then I pull of the leader with gloves and try to break it..if it still doesn't break it is strong enough. I use the palomar knot up to 100-130lb line, higher lb than that gets crimped. Use whatever knot you tie the best and try testing the knots in the leader. Then test your knots in the mainline..Then set the drag and go fishing  ;D
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

japeto

I think this old thread is still very relevant, therefore I'm reviving it with my $.02.

I once struggled with knots breaking at the hook or swivel.  Then I started using larger swivels and hooks with thicker cross-sections and my problems stopped.  Before that, the terminals were small, causing the knots to have sharp bends.  It was almost like the swivels or hooks were cutting my line if that makes sense.  So if anyone is having the same problem as the OP was, I recommend using beefier terminal tackle if you've tried everything else. 

handi2

Quote from: japeto on March 24, 2017, 05:22:28 PM
I think this old thread is still very relevant, therefore I'm reviving it with my $.02.

I once struggled with knots breaking at the hook or swivel.  Then I started using larger swivels and hooks with thicker cross-sections and my problems stopped.  Before that, the terminals were small, causing the knots to have sharp bends.  It was almost like the swivels or hooks were cutting my line if that makes sense.  So if anyone is having the same problem as the OP was, I recommend using beefier terminal tackle if you've tried everything else. 

Exactly right...

When the tiny SPRO swivels came out I had to use them. Not anymore.

They have their place but not on bottom fishing tackle.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

Hmm, learn something everyday here.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Benni3

I use seaguar grand max fluorocarbon for Lake fishing had to find out the hard way ,,,,spit on the knots and old fluorocarbon line ,,,don't try to  get a good deal it's old stock  >:(  my dad would say that cheap Kmart line your using  that's what's going on  ???

Gfish

Friction wear on the knot, at the terminal end, seems to be reduced by usin a split ring, where practical. Lures yeah, bait hooks-mabey. Have found that mono/fluoro connections to spectra have improved breaking strength, if spectra can possibly be doubled over before the tie. Perhaps the spectra as a single strand, has a tendency to cut through the mono/fluoro.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

bill19803

Gotta  put  my $.02 in here.  I   dont  tie  any   knots    with  spectra,  except a  bimini.  A   short  flouro  top   shot   to   swivel   and  then   flouro   to hook.  no problems    and  the flouro   lets  me use  knots i have   confidence in. Works   for  me