frustrated - everybody please read this

Started by alantani, May 11, 2012, 01:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

"we," "our" and "us" are all the people that buy reels, fish with them, deal with their problems and then cough up more money to get them fixed so that they work again.  "they," "their" and "them" are the people in industry that build fishing reels.  "our" goals are different from "theirs."  it is a simple fact of life.  

all of "us" know that that "we" can expect to have trouble when "we" buy a fishing reel from "them" and then fish with it straight out of the box without going through it first.  a reel has to be torn down, lubed, and then rebuilt.  there is no other way.  that is the whole purpose of "our" website.  "we" have to increase the suvivability of "our" own fishing reels.  "we" cannot depend on "them" to do this for "us."  it is simply not possible for most of "them" to do so and still stay in business.  and stay in business "they" must.  if "they" go out of business, then "we" will be left with nothing to fish with.  add to that the fact that pointing out one problem after another will only make "them" feel defensive and make "them" less likely to want to help "us."  and that helps none of "us."

what i must ask of all of "us" is to stop grousing about the condition of the reels that "they" sell.  I honestly believe that "they" believe that "they" are doing the best that "they" can.  let "us" keep a more positive tone.  whenever you write something, imagine that "we" are all seated around the dinner table with our 12 year olds!  know also, that i share your frustration.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

inhotpursuit

Biggameaddict

Bryan Young

Every reel has it's plus and minuses. We find ways to take those minuses and make them pluses, to make a good reel better.  That is what us tinkers do, and we enjoy it.  Let's continue to make good reels better.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

i respectfully disagree with some of what you said,and shall respectfully keep it to myself.
its nice to be nice to nice people,isnt that nice :D

dogdad1

Thank you for the reminder.

I work part-time in the resort-trade in S Florida, and sometimes get frustrated with our version of "them" and their actions as well.  Then I have to stop and remind myself that "they" are what's keeping me in business and if everyone (or every reel) was perfect, then I'd be looking for a different line of work.  Helps me put a smile on my face to go back out for more.

I appreciate everyone/everything on this site more than I can say.
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Norcal Pescador

Good posting, Alan. The Makaira SE series is a good example of "them" listening to "us", but not all companies are able (or willing) to do this or that for a variety of reasons.

Quote from: dogdad1 on May 11, 2012, 11:13:48 AM
Thank you for the reminder.

.... I have to stop and remind myself that "they" are what's keeping me in business and if everyone (or every reel) was perfect, then I'd be looking for a different line of work.  Helps me put a smile on my face to go back out for more.

I appreciate everyone/everything on this site more than I can say.
That sentence keeps it in perspective for me.

Wallace, I respect your respectful disagreement. Respect is one thing that keeps this site so great.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Jim

Maybe this expectation of 'perfect right out of the box' is the natural evolution of consumer goods.
We're becoming accustomed to all our new gadgets and toys being perfectly ready to go as soon as we get them out of the box (and charge them, and register them online, and download the software updates, and reboot them  ::) )
How many things in your house say on the back "no user serviceable parts inside"?
Heck, my new SkyCaddie has to be sent back to the factory for a battery change!! (I love the thing but really?? You manufactured it so I couldn't buy or change the battery??)
Lets all be thankful we can even open up a reel, at least without buying a special $99 tool!!

Tile

All my reels have been preservicer prior to use: greased threads, greased internals and some design problems corrected. This was the case with my Abu Garcia Seven where I found that the yoke was being severely bent by the springs when the reel is in gear. The splution was to put the holder plate and internals on the frame, position the yoke and springs to the in gear position and shortened the springs to just above the tops of the yoke posts. The pressure diminished and the reel goes easily in and out of gear with no problem.
In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

Quote from: wallacewt on May 11, 2012, 07:01:20 AM
i respectfully disagree with some of what you said,and shall respectfully keep it to myself.
its nice to be nice to nice people,isnt that nice :D

wallace, i sometimes feel like i am sleeping with the enemy when i talk to guys in industry.  people ask me all the time, with half a million hits a month, why no advertising?  just imagine what a mess this place would be if we started taking on reel manufacturers as sponsors !!!!!!!!!!!!

what got me mulling this over was a conversation i had with my wife.  one of the things that my wife does is that she loves to talk about problems.  she will talk, and talk, and talk and get herself all worked up over a situation that she has no control over.  she insisted that we talk about a problem one time.  it was midnight.  i had to get up at 5am for a 6:30AM shift.  it was so important that she talk about it and get it off her chest, while being totally oblivious to the fact that i had an early morning shift at the hospital that lasted for 12 hours.  that won't happen again.  

"we" have made a difference here.  yes, this little band of brothers.  your contributions, in particular, have been most appreciated.  looking back on my post, there was more that should have been included.  that it is fine to point out a problem, but i believe that it is best done within the context of asking for help or in finding a solution.  i believe that we must continue to maintain the highest ethical and professional standards.  part of that is understanding and respecting the fact that there are people that do not see things the same way we do.  and that even among ourselves, there will be differences of opinion.  where else will you find a place where those differences are hammered out so professionally?  and for that, i am very grateful.  

with gassho.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 11, 2012, 06:46:53 AM
Every reel has it's plus and minuses. We find ways to take those minuses and make them pluses, to make a good reel better.  That is what us tinkers do, and we enjoy it.  Let's continue to make good reels better.

I have Penns, Shimanos, Okumas, Daiwas, ABU Garcias, DAM Quick and Newells.  I love them all.

ranaman

I have Penns, Shimanos, Okumas, Daiwas, ABU Garcias, DAM Quick and Newells.  I love them all.
[/quote]

I agree!

First post and hello to all! I have been lurking probably for a year now and really feel this is one of the most civil group of anglers I read. We all have issues with tackle and most enjoy working those bugs out to create a better experience on the water. It has always been nessesary to maintain the tackle our hard earned money buys and over the last few years as me, my wife, and the great crew of friends that we fish begin to increase the level of tackle I find great solace in being able to come here and find a rebuilt tutorial or learn about issues with items I'm interested in purchasing. Alan the followers of this forum have opinions and its hard not to express them, even harder to do so in a civil matter if the issues has cost them time and or money.

I too feel that for any company to succeed they must listen to the consumer and respond appropriately some (as mentioned) do that better than others. I have spoken to you via PM and even as busy as you are you took time to express a concern for my needs and you are not a company or even someone I've made a purchase from "yet". Miss Dawn at Smooth Drag also has gone above and beyone to assits me and now my friends with their orders. One tackle company has as well for me more than any other and I think you probably know who they are as they have done so for this entire community.

Well this is getting long so simply put thank YOU and thank you(s) to those regular posters that make this a GREAT site! -Joe and Celeste

Norcal Pescador

Welcome aboard Joe and Celeste and thanks for your comments.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Makule

Quotesometimes feel like i am sleeping with the enemy

"Sleeping with the enemy" has some distinct advantages, two of which are:  Finding out what they are thinking/planning; and Being able to influence the direction they are going in.  Neither of these are bad.  Being a liaison of sorts between the industry and the consumer is an even better position.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.