Malaysian made TLD25 spool shafts reduce drag pressure

Started by Goddy, May 15, 2012, 10:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goddy

I have two Malaysian TLD25s and one made in Japan that have not been used much. I could only get about 8lb of drag at strike out of the Malaysian units, so there was little point using them. The circa 1993 Japan made one was fine.

I took the two Malaysian built TLDs to two Shimano shops without achieving any drag improvement.

Someone told me the spool shafts were not machine properly on the TLD25 from Malaysia when Shimano switched their manufacturing there. They were right. I ordered two new shafts from Shimano and was really surprised at the difference.

The two shafts are the same overall length but the  thread and square section lengths on the Malaysian made shaft stops the pre-program dial screwing down towards the drag a lot earlier than a new shaft. The thread of the faulty shaft goes only about half way into the pre-program dial.

I'd say if you can't count 7-8 threads on your TLD25 spool shaft you probably need to invest in a new one. From the threaded end of the shaft to the start of the circular section after the square section should be about 11mm.

See attached photos on 2mm grid paper. The new shaft is on the top, the removed one from the Malaysian reel is on the bottom. Big difference, the   old shaft only goes about 1/2 way into the pre-program dial.

redsetta

Welcome aboard Goddy.
Great post - thanks for sharing that info.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Welcome to the Forum Goddy.
Very interesting information you gleaned there. Little wonder the perfectionists  prefer their Shimano's and Daiwa's to be made in Japan.

Bryan Young

Goddy,

Welcome and thank you for sharing this very interesting find.  Will keep an eye out on the reels we service for this.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Goddy

This was a pretty frustrating exercise. If you look at the photos of the brand new shaft from Shimano Australia on the top  it shows scoring on the shaft which isn't there on the second hand shaft I removed at the bottom.

In the close up of the thread you can see the shaft has been dropped and the first thread pitch is pinched together. I couldn't even get the pre-program dial to start on the new shaft until I filed the damaged thread open.

The new shaft looks suspiciously second hand.

I was buying the new shafts to fix a Shimano quality issue and the first new one I received had yet another albeit different quality issue

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

thanks for the info and welcome. guess you can blame the quality control dept.... ;D

floating doc

I'll refrain from my usual "never buying another Shimano" rant.  :(
Central Florida

exp2000

What! No factory recall?
Pretty bad for Shimano. Wonder if this issue extends to other reels in the TLD series?
Thanks for posting - good info to know.

Seems like I am having problems: I cannot view pics in this forum!
~

redsetta

G'day exp,
The site used to support posting photos direct, but it got too problematic - taking up huge amounts of space and slowing the site down etc.
The links are still there in old posts such as this, but the photos are no longer.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: exp2000 on September 13, 2013, 01:20:04 AM
What! No factory recall?
Pretty bad for Shimano. Wonder if this issue extends to other reels in the TLD series?
Thanks for posting - good info to know.

Seems like I am having problems: I cannot view pics in this forum!
~

They fixed it, I have one that works just fine
Grayson Lanier

Goddy

I have since wondered if the reason a turn or two of thread was taken off the spool shafts was deliberate.
Might be it was done to reduce the amount of drag that could be dialed up and therefore reduce instances of the frames cracking.

handi2

You can add another washer under the drag lever to achieve the extra drag.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL