"Largest reel from ABU

Started by Makule, May 16, 2012, 03:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

My impression is that the 10,000 series is the largest (capacity) that ABU made in quantity, but that they also made, or had someone else make, larger reels.  What's the largest capacity reel from ABU that is reasonably available?  Anything close to a 4/0 or 6/0?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Mooki

I think it might be the ABU 30.
They made the 12, 20 and 30 for a bit heavier fishing.

Nicked the table below from a Vintage Reels Forum. *) gives the line capacity for Mono, dimension in mm.

Type                    Gear Ratio   0,35*)    0,40*)    0,45*)    0,50*)    0,60*)    
Ambassadeyr 12    1:4,2        600 m    450 m    350 m              
Ambassadeur 20    1:3,41               620 m    500 m    400 m         
Ambassadeur 30                                         700 m    550 m    400 m    

Seems the formatting is a bit off, but  for 0,45 it's 350m/500m/700m, should be enough to interpret the tabel (I hope  ;D )
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

Makule

Are the 12, 20, 30 designations similar/same to the modern designations (like Penn, Shimano, etc)?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

basto

The lever drag ABU 20 and 30 were fairly heavy due to their stainless steel one piece frames. They had a brushed finish instead of a smooth polished finish.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Robert Janssen

Actually, the stainless frames were very lightweight. The bronze spools, on the other hand, weigh roughly a ton.

Replacing it with one made of aluminum would save roughly a pound in weight.

Robert Janssen

Just found myself rereading this, and realized that i hadn't seen that it was really a serious question.

Yes, Makule... The Ambassadeur 20 and 30 were the largest reels produced in quantity by ABU. They were made from ~1975 until 1984, and are still available to those who seek them. Some of them very good condition are coveted by collectors (I myself have one, signed by Len Borgström when I met him); others in as-used condition are still available for a not unreasonable price. Keep an eye on auction sites and BST boards.

The reels are a remarkable piece of engineering, featuring an incredibly simple construction with a one-knob takeapart design allowing full access to all working components, allowing essentially no-tool maintenance and repair.

Aesthetically, they were as usual from ABU, very much a design statement of their time, and rather handsome.

I wasn't joking about the spools, however. They were made of bronze and quite heavy.

There were other, larger reels from ABU, but these were in fact made for ABU by Everol, and are now held in quite high esteem by collectors.

redsetta

Thanks Robert - I'd never seen the Everol Abus before and they're really something.
Some images etc here: http://www.realsreels.com/reels/IGFA/default.htm
A sample:

The above site also has an old editorial on the big Abus, linked below:

What a beast! ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

The appearance of these reels resemble some of the high end reels made today.

Killerbug

Quote from: Makule on June 08, 2012, 04:47:36 AM
The appearance of these reels resemble some of the high end reels made today.

Those where the days, where ABU was ahead of their time. 
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

dan1

Does any one have the schematic for this reel? Any one ever worked on it? I have one that I need to work on.

Mandelstam

Quote from: dan1 on May 03, 2013, 09:13:34 PM
Does any one have the schematic for this reel? Any one ever worked on it? I have one that I need to work on.

Here is a guide and schematic: http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/Ambassadeur%2030%20service.pdf

I envy you for that reel! :)

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea