111 senator

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightj12

Just finished rebuilding my 2/0. Put in (5) smoothdrag washers w/a stainless steel gear sleeve per your tutorial. When spooling up w/ 20# mono it appears that the spool flanges (original brass spool) are deflecting & the spool is binding in the reel frame. I can pretty much say that this is definitely the problem. The alignment of the reel frame is OK. Looks like I'm going to have to pick up an aluminum spool or use less tension when spooling; not using a whole lot. Any experience or suggestions here?
Thanks,
Jeremy

akfish

Older Penn spools did not handle mono well. In fact, Penn used to include a note in their reels saying that, if you used mono, you should remove the line **after each day's fishing** to take pressure off the spool. Really. I see lots and lots of older Penns with bad spools and very tightly compacted mono. You can reduce the problem by using some Dacron backing but it doesn't always work. Get an aluminum spool...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Quote from: lightj12 on April 23, 2011, 08:41:25 PM
Just finished rebuilding my 2/0. Put in (5) smoothdrag washers w/a stainless steel gear sleeve per your tutorial. When spooling up w/ 20# mono it appears that the spool flanges (original brass spool) are deflecting & the spool is binding in the reel frame. I can pretty much say that this is definitely the problem. The alignment of the reel frame is OK. Looks like I'm going to have to pick up an aluminum spool or use less tension when spooling; not using a whole lot. Any experience or suggestions here?
Thanks,
Jeremy

Sounds like your reel has the 3 piece spool, as Akfish mentioned, these spools used to get warped under heavy load, I've seen this on the 6/0's and up, never seen it on smaller reels. You pretty much have to get yourself a new spool you'll never make that one line up again. Get yourself an aluminum spool or one piece brass spool and be careful on how you fish the reel, as I mentioned on my previous posts, I don't think that increasing the  drag stock from 3 to 5 on these reels is a good idea, more drags = more pressure and I'm sure you're not going to back down when a nice size fish is on. I would not fish the reel over 12 pounds, your new sleeve can take it but your gears might not. Just my opinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

lightj12

Thanks for the info; just ordered an aluminum spool. Think I spooled it too tight; looked like a one-piece spool to me. I'll try re-spooling w/less tension as a temporary fix; if the flanges aren't too distorted...

Irish Jigger

I occasionally see  Penn 2/0's on ebay over here. If anyone wants one PM me and I will keep a lookout for one.

Alto Mare

Quote from: lightj12 on April 24, 2011, 03:39:02 AM
Thanks for the info; just ordered an aluminum spool. Think I spooled it too tight; looked like a one-piece spool to me. I'll try re-spooling w/less tension as a temporary fix; if the flanges aren't too distorted...

I should have asked earlier, does the reel have red plates or black? also, try backing all frame scews about a quarter of a turn, hold the reel with both hands and lightly move the plates in opposite direction a couple of times and then lightly tighten the frame screws... see if that does anything.

Scratch the top part, I was thinking 112. Try loosening the screws though sometimes it works.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

I've seen very few 3-piece spools on small, older Penns. Jeremy, if one side of the spool has a flared arbor and the other side of the spool goes into it, it's a 3-piece. An example of a flared end in this case would be like a section of PVC pipe with a bell molded onto one end so another pipe could be slid into it without a connection fitting. But you may already know this. :-\

I have the 5-stack drag in my 111 but I put 30# mono for three reasons: I had plenty of it to be used, I didn't need a lot of line on it, and I'll be using the reel for rockfish so wanted just a little more abrasion resistance. It's partially an experiment on my part, but I know it will never be more than a 25-30# reel. Mine came with a one-piece brass/chrome spool and the gears remain the weak link.

Sal and akfish are right.  You'll like the aluminum spool better. ;)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

lightj12

Tried to re-spool it w/ less tension & no luck; flanges deformed again. This reel will never see the possible drag w/ the new drag configuration, but w/ a fine thread gear sleeve (Penn 505?) the drag adjustment is very nice. Using 30# mono is actually a good idea on these older reels to prevent the line from getting bound up between the spool & frame; but the aluminum spool, with shoulders @ flanges, should help prevent this. I plan on mainly using this reel for salmon trolling but it looks like it won't be going with me up to Shelter Cove next weekend.    :'(

alantani

jeremy, i don't know where you live, but if you're close you might want to swing by the house this week.  i'll bet i could find you a new spool in the junk box somewhere.  um, check that.  bryan might be able to find you a spool.  since he moved everything around, i can't find anything. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lightj12

Thanks for the offer Alan, I've got one ordered form MyscitParts that might get here by Friday. I'll use my 3/0 if I have to. Yes, this is addictive.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

Alan,  All of the spools are opposite your fishing rods. Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fodf

Guys, I cracked open my newly acquired 2/0 the other day to follow the tutorial in cleaning it up and upgrading the components. I had the schematic in hand, and the tutorial on the screen. Everything went well until I got to the guts and found this:
1. a 5+5 all original (I think) drag configuration (orange and black alternating), plus drag washer (orange) under the sleeve. All the metals were brass (3 keyed and 2 eared);
2. a 15-60 dog;
3. a "leaf" dog spring;
4. and steel main and pinion gears (no part markings) .
Is this some sort of hybrid 2/0?
Also the spool is different than I've seen before. It appears to have what looks like a short sleeve in the center of the spool where the spool "post" resides. The thing doesn't look like it had ever seen any line; pristine looking.
Oh, and a couple of very soft felt washer; a small one under the gear sleeve, and a larger one above the belleville.
Any thoughts?
Eric

Keta

Quote from: fodf on March 06, 2012, 09:02:32 PM
Also the spool is different than I've seen before. It appears to have what looks like a short sleeve in the center of the spool where the spool "post" resides.

Is there nuts on the ends of the spool?  If so you have a multi piece spool.  If I go back to town I'll take and post a photo of one.  The dog should be 15-99.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fodf

Keta, yep the spool has a nut on each end. This reel doesn't appear to have a roller bearing, or at least I haven't found one. The dog is definitely a 15-60. Thanx for the reply. Eric

Keta

Here's what it looks partly broke down. 

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain