Newell side plates

Started by getbent, July 20, 2009, 07:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getbent

Alan, I have at least 3 newell reels in the 300 series with hairline cracks in the left side plate that begin at the center bearing screw and continue outward for about 1 cm.  These reels were purchased about 7 or 8 years ago and are beyond warranty.  I haven't had a failure yet, but I'm thinking this is not a good condition.  My only concern is that the new side plates will eventually show this type of wear unless there has been a reformulation since these were made.  Are you familiar with this problem?  Also, do I get side plates from Newell or do you know of a shop that carries these? 

charles

alantani

there may have been a specific problem with a specific batch of reels.  there could also be a problem with all of them if the bearing cups are cranked down too much when putting the reel together. you've already got a metal ring around the side plates, and so far they've worked.  as long as they stay aligned, i would leave them be.  let's just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get any worse.  you'd have to go to newell for new parts and you know what a joy that can be.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

getbent

Thanks Alan, I'll keep an eye on them.