mitchell reel parts

Started by alantani, May 28, 2012, 07:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnachak

Thanks Fred. I'll run it by them. If they want to use them that badly, I'll do exactly as you said.

johnachak

I was able to use a spare Penn Eccentric lever which fit the eccentric on the Mitchell. Since it is shorter, I had to turn the lever around. I used a Stainless steel Nut/bolt and washer from my boat supplies. I used Permatex Loctite blue gel on the nut and dremelled the bolt off flush. BTW, Penn 6-60 HT 100 fit like a glove. I reused the undergear washer that cane with it. The old washers were some kind of fiber composite. Here is how it came out. This is one smooth reel. Now if only I could find an eccentric lever and nut and bolt for it. It'd be sweet.

Hoochrip

Fred's quoted
The varied Penn models that run from the 500s, Senators from 1/0 to 16/0, LW series, Squidders, Long Beachs, Surfmasters, Internationals, 700s, 704s, 706s, 710-712-714-716, 720s, and all the others -- are examples of a company that embraced a committment to quality, affordability, and solid engineering practices.

As a group of reel enthusiasts, we can and do improve/modify these reels every day, but the basic product is like an old friend -- Always there and reliable.

I had Michell's as a kid and loved the 300's, little aggravated by their anti reverse lever. Bought several Shimano spinners and bait casing reels and they were fine too. Then bought a Penn 714z and I just fell in love with this reel, fought and landed a 33" striper on 6 lb line on that reel with a 6'6" medium light Browning rod while fishing for schoolies. My friend heard the drag ripping and laughed said do you have enough line on that reel. I responded I don't know but I soon find out, only took 45 minutes. Do't believe I would of landed that fish on many of my other reels. It is still used today and my kids all know which ones the want to fish with. Bought several Penn Z  710, 712, 714, 716, 720. Even a nine year old knows which is the best and claiming Dad I want this one. I'll get the left over rods and reels. I don't mind my kids meeting my Old Friends.
Mark