Old fin-nors

Started by reload, June 01, 2012, 02:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reload

Greetings everyone, new to the forum,my first post anyway. My name is Carlos, like most of you I have been fishing for a long time it is my passion. I live in the Caribbean in Puerto Rico. Anyway I need some help with a couple of old fin nors 12/0, due to the marlin down here the drags need to be upgraded to a more modern material.I have been reading about the posibility of a cork to carbon fiber conversion on these reels and I would like to know who makes this kind of work,thanks.

alantani

welcome, carlos.  i've worked on several of these reels.  upgrading these reels to carbon fiber is certainly possible, but it would take the resources of a machine shop.  short of that, your best bet might be to cut radial lines i the drag material every 5 degrees to prevent the drag material from sticking to stainless steel pressure plate.  that little trick actually works amazingly well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reload

Thats good to hear, will make the cuts to see how that works out. they are great reels but very temperamental,the drags increases relative to the speed of the fishes run so it has to be adjusted in fight, imagine doing that with a 800 pounds blue on the other side :o also read Dr Robs post changing drags, what a procedure!

alantani

carlos, i have never seen dr. rob's recommendations.  can you post a link? 

reload

Saw it in The hull truth forums on the sportfishing and charter forum just searched fin nor 12/0 great article and pictures he even made new gears to increase the travel of the drag lever,will see if I can find it.

alantani

JGB

Be careful when cutting those 'old' style drag disks. Many of them are based on old brake pad technology and contain asbestos.
The disks in the International 50W contain asbestos.

Jim N.

reload

On my reels the drag material is cork

Robert Janssen

Glad you liked it.

Really though, one perhaps needn't go to the lengths i did with the reel shown in the link. I chose to do so only because i could.

The reels are very well made to begin with, and a proper cleaning of the componentry should do you well.

Surprisingly, cork can be a relatively good drag material -which is why they used it to begin with- and can continue to be so.

Really, if you wanted to experiment, there is nothing to stop you from removing the cork and replacing it with carbontex. I fact, you might even try applying a very thin disc of carbontex on top of the cork and see how that feels. The coefficient of friction of cork-on-carbontex being rather large will ensure that it will have a propensity to slide on the opposing surface as planned.

One can only try it and see. If you don't like it, change back.