Narrow Conversion on 433

Started by elnath, June 17, 2012, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elnath

I just finished putting together my 433 wrapped around one of the Tib narrow frames--I'm really going to like this set-up!

However, there is quite a bit of "in-line" movement of the handle shaft (i.e. into and away from the right side plate).  It's probably near a quarter inch.  For the life of me I can remember there being that much play in the reel in it's stock configuration so I'm hoping somebody can tell me either: 1. what I did wrong so I can go fix it, or 2. that that's just the way Newells are (this is the only one I own).

Thanks!

REK

If you had that much play before the frame upgrade, you will have the same after. I've noticed that some Newells have more than one c-clip holding the bridge sleeve to the bridge. Check if there is room for another c-clip. If it the type of Newell that uses a screw on the end of the bridge sleeve, check to see if it all the way in. Otherwise, you need a new/longer bridge sleeve. Last I heard, Newell is closed. But then again, somebody answered the phone. Maybe they have a part.

Is this the narrow frame? What's the spool width? Can you post some photos? I'm interested in doing this too.

Alto Mare

Your frame and spool upgrades wouldn't have anything to do with the handle slop.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Bill

There are 2 different bridge sleeves for Newell's. 1 has a flat back on the main gear. The other has a SS washer pressed on the bridge sleeve that fits a groove on the back of the gear. Someone could have mixed parts to make a reel. Not a hard fix. For the groove just round the whole in a SS drag Washer & place in groove then install thrust washer between sleeve & SS Washer. I have seen 6-309 drag washers placed in the groove of the Main gear.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

elnath

Quote from: REK on June 17, 2012, 06:44:20 PM
If you had that much play before the frame upgrade, you will have the same after. I've noticed that some Newells have more than one c-clip holding the bridge sleeve to the bridge. Check if there is room for another c-clip. If it the type of Newell that uses a screw on the end of the bridge sleeve, check to see if it all the way in. Otherwise, you need a new/longer bridge sleeve. Last I heard, Newell is closed. But then again, somebody answered the phone. Maybe they have a part.

Is this the narrow frame? What's the spool width? Can you post some photos? I'm interested in doing this too.

This one uses a screw on the end of the bridge sleeve, no C-Clips (maybe there should have been--I'll need to look closer).

I'll try to take a few pictures later this week and post them, I'm very happy with the handling of the reel, can't wait to fish it!

franky

Quote from: elnath on June 17, 2012, 11:55:05 AM
There is quite a bit of "in-line" movement of the handle shaft (i.e. into and away from the right side plate).  It's probably near a quarter inch.
Thanks!

Hello elnath,

As mentioned earlier, the only factor that influences the side to side "slop" in the handle is the screw on the end or at the very top of the gear sleeve.  The movement may seem a lot, but it cannot or better not be a quarter inch.   :o  I say this because based on the newell configuation, if the gear sleeve was to move by that big a margin, your dogs will release and you will have no anti-reverse.  :o

If you are gutsy, the only way that I can figure is you remove the gearsleeve and shave down the inner post that the gear sleeve sits upon to make it shorter. I would recommend this if you were to be shaving 1 or 2 milimeters....but not a quarter inch.  Either that or you could build up the gearsleeve by shimming it from the bottom by adding some kind of washers.  But even if you do this, you gotta make sure the gears on the bottom of the gearsleeve lines up with the dogs.  If your gearsleeve sits too high, the dogs will not engage and your handle will go backwards.  :o

alantani

i think there is either a c-clip (plus/minus a washer) or a screw that is missing from the top of the post. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

elnath

Got it.  I hadn't tightened down the screw on top of the sleeve--that was biggest part of the slop.  But it still had too much for my taste.

I added a nylon washer under the handle (between handle and star) and then an extra stainless washer on top of the handle.  The combination worked perfectly.  Rock solid now, could get about 14 lbs of drag, but backed down to 10 which is my preference for groundfishing.  (drags are greased carbontex).

Sweet combination--going to be one of my favorite reels I think!

bluefish69

I'm glad you got it to work the way you wanted. Looks like I will have some spare time to work on my reels.

elnath

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 24, 2012, 03:46:51 AM
I'm glad you got it to work the way you wanted. Looks like I will have some spare time to work on my reels.

Well Mike, you could always go fishing  :)

bluefish69

Bill

Did that Friday. Beat on the Black Sea Bass, Ling [Red Hake ] & Cod