Daiwa Sealine 27H Handle Issue

Started by El Pescador, June 19, 2012, 01:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Houston, We have a Problem!

Saturday, while salmon fishing from a Half Moon Bay party boat, my daiwa sealine 27H was put to the test, and the new handle flunked!
This was my first reel breakdown and reassembly with all the Alan Tani approved jams & jellys, including a handle arm & grip upgrade.
The problem is the new handle arm is 4.02mm thick, and the stock daiwa handle arm is 2.99mm thick.
This caused the handle nut twice to loosen and made reeling in the 2 1/2 lbs. lead weight difficult.  The thicker handle arm did not give enough of the nut on the gear shaft threads.

What is the work around here??  
- To  have a CNC shop mill out 1.03mm of the new handle arm stock the size of the handle nut?
- Get a new thinner handle?
love the longer new arm distance (from the center of the gear shaft to the center of the handle grip), do not want to go back to the stock handle!
What to do?  Need your help here!
Thank you!
Wayne

Here is the new Daiwa Power handle, notice how little of the gear shaft threads will be covered by the nut!  Looks like a problem.

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

El Pescador

There is the Daiwa stock arm with handle nut.  Plenty of gear shaft threads for the handle nut.  Yes, I know the nut is upside down!
Wayne

Dominick

Alan:  Do the kolekar handles come in difference thicknesses?  Wayne:  What is a CNC shop? Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Dom,

CNC is Computer Numerical Control (CNC).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_control 
These machines are capable of milling metal to very fine tolerances and exact dimensions. 
more to read: http://www.tunasreeltroubles.com/SHIMANO-HANDLE-MILLING.html
Wayne

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on June 19, 2012, 03:30:37 AM
Dom,
CNC is Computer Numerical Control (CNC).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_control 
These machines are capable of milling metal to very fine tolerances and exact dimensions. 
more to read: http://www.tunasreeltroubles.com/SHIMANO-HANDLE-MILLING.html
Wayne
Wayne:  I don't need some stinkin computer to control my numbers.  ;D  Also just get out the file or maybe Alan has handles of varying thicknesses.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Hi Wayne,

Why is the handle nut backing out?  Don't you have a locking cover on it?  You have more than 2 threads, and that should be sufficient to hold it down.  If you want to make that area thinner, I've got a grinder that you could use.  It's on only 1 mm.  Let me know.  Dominick's lovely wife invited us up for dinner in the distant near future, and I could bring out my grinder, we would remove 1 mm in a matter of seconds and you will be done.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

El Pescador

Ahhhh!!!!

A man of action!

Yes, I did have the locking cover on the handle nut (which helped keep the handle from falling off), but with only 2 threads in the nut, it still loosened with use.
And I think removing 1mm will do the trick to have all the gear shaft threaded into the handle nut.

Dinner??...   someone say dinner at Dom's???  I'll be there.
He made an anchovy pizza last week, it was delicious.
Brian, Thank You!!!!! for your suggestion and help! See you soon.
Wayne

Bryan Young

Dominick, sound like the food is in your court. ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 19, 2012, 07:11:37 PM
Dominick, sound like the food is in your court. ;)
I'll work on it.  I'm leaving on Friday for NY.  Fishing with Broadway Dom on Mon. and with mi amigo Joe off the surf on Tues.  Doing duty visits the rest of the time.  Dominick

Bryan Young

Can you bring back some of that awesome sausage your lovely granddaughter talked about?  Sounds like the best Italian Sausage this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

redsetta

QuoteFishing with Broadway Dom on Mon...
Have a great trip lads!
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Dom/Dominick, I wish I could be there with you guys :(. Take lots of pictures.
Hope you have a great day on the water. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bruce

Dominick

Say hello to Jersey Joe for me.
                Good fishing.

Buzz
Buzz

Keta

The work required to thin a spot under the nut can be done on any mill, if you have problems finding a shop that will do the work send it to me and I'll do it for you.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Wayne, I'm sure Lee would do a much nicer job than my grinder would.